Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 17-11-2015, 04:51 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Aust' Post

Recently I had a ' debacle ' with Aust' Post .... Looks like I am not Robinson Crusoe on this .

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/australia-post.html

Just pathetic ... my parcel is still missing.... yet their CEO gets 5Mill a year and they are crying ' broke '

That link is worth reading if you have had a bad experience with Aus' Post.... it just goes on and on and on

Col....
Old 17-11-2015, 05:30 PM
csb (Craig)

People always like to bash Aust Post and have done so for decades - possibly because government owned.

Only 2 issues:
Letters left sticking out of the mailbox - so now I use a PO Box.
Leaving parcels/packages at the front door. Security?

I've complained about the above with little result.

But never had a parcel go missing yet so haven't had to go through that type of complaint.

Letters I'm not so sure about - who knows if an unimportant letter goes missing.
Old 17-11-2015, 06:34 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
People always like to bash Aust Post and have done so for decades -
Gee ...I wonder why ... needs no explaining , does it.

Col....
Old 17-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Ive never had a problem. Last parcel was a largish musical instrument that took 2 days to arrive from rural NSW to my work addess in another part of rural NSW. The tracking worked well and I could see where it was in transit.
Old 17-11-2015, 06:54 PM
deanm (Dean)

When I was a uni student back in the mid 80s, I regularly worked Oz Post mail exchange night shifts Nov.-Dec. as a temp to help manually sort the (then) deluge of xmas mail.

An ongoing, in-house joke was that there were 2 ways to split the atom:

[1] Nuclear fission/fusion as per Einstein, or

[2] Put an atom in a parcel, label it 'Fragile' & send it through Oz Post!

You would not believe what used to happen on the sorting floor (now mostly automated, so the 3:00 AM parcel drop-kick games are much less frequent).

Dean
Old 17-11-2015, 07:53 PM
torana68 (Roger)

I dislike Aust post due to years of them not giving a ......... they used to, but now they do not.
I do like FedEx, I've had two parcels from Springfield, Ohio, to my door in country NSW in 4 days TWICE this month. Aust post delivered me a letter from my council 50k's away and it took them 4 days to do it
Old 17-11-2015, 08:39 PM
rrussell1962

Since we are back on the subject, Aust Post managed to lose a package containing an MEF-3 that Claude sent me recently. Being the person that he is Claude sent me second one which did get here. Thank you Claude.
Old 17-11-2015, 09:03 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

OMG .... Claude posted the same item to me last Friday...I know I still need to wait a few more days for it.... but....please no...not again....

Fingers....Bl***y Crossed ....

Col....
Old 17-11-2015, 11:22 PM
rrussell1962

Good job he still had one in stock for you Col, what with me buying one and Australia Post losing one!
Old 18-11-2015, 03:46 PM
csb (Craig)

Quote:
People always like to bash Aust Post and have done so for decades - possibly because government owned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Gee ...I wonder why ... needs no explaining , does it.

Col....
Yep, no explanation needed when problems are dealt with in unsatisfactory or nil culpable manner.
Old 19-11-2015, 06:26 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana68 View Post
I dislike Aust post due to years of them not giving a ......... they used to, but now they do not.
I do like FedEx, I've had two parcels from Springfield, Ohio, to my door in country NSW in 4 days TWICE this month. Aust post delivered me a letter from my council 50k's away and it took them 4 days to do it
lol. My new Astrodons were shipped last Friday from Sydney. Tracking showed no movement until Tuesday, where they appeared a 30min drive from where they were lodged. Now Thursday and no further tracking updates. Of course, we have clear skies right now, due to be cloudy again soon.
Old 19-11-2015, 06:44 AM
Kunama

Has anyone noticed that the parcels going missing either originate from or are supposed to arrive in Queensland ................ are there more sinister forces at play here?
Old 19-11-2015, 07:17 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Looks like I spoke too soon, just got an SMS telling me that package arrived in my parcel locker this morning.
Old 19-11-2015, 08:38 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

With the Millions of letters and parcels handled every year by Australia post I think they do a bloody good job over all.
No company is infallible, A few years ago a national freight carrier lost my 16" mirror in a box nearly one meter square for over a week.
It had been sent to Queensland then for some unknown reason returned to Sydney where it sat on a pallet in the transport companies warehouse for a week before it was eventually delivered to their sunshine coast depot for delivery to me.
So much for the said companies much vaunted tracking system.
They then refused to deliver it here to my address because they thought the road "might" flood, rather strange that as I was able to drive to their depot and pick it up myself.
Needless to say I will no longer be using said company to transport anything else in the future.
Cheers

PS I forgot to mention that the said parcel looked like it had had 15 rounds with Mohamed Ali,even though there was dozens of the obligatory "Fragile" stickers all over it.

Last edited by astroron; 19-11-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 19-11-2015, 03:43 PM
csb (Craig)

<FRAGILE>

Copied this advice from Andrews Communications website:
"Please do NOT write <fragile> on anything you send to us as doing so greatly increases the risk of damage."
Old 19-11-2015, 03:50 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
<FRAGILE>

Copied this advice from Andrews Communications website:
"Please do NOT write <fragile> on anything you send to us as doing so greatly increases the risk of damage."
That advice is freely given by Australia Post too in some documentation of theirs I read recently.

It's a bit sad, but I suppose it's pointing out that the 'parcel movers', with their room temperature IQs, are not there because they can't get jobs as rocket scientists!
Old 20-11-2015, 08:02 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

I have to contact sellers all the time to let them know that items have not arrived within the estimated delivery time frame.
This is somehow embarrassing, although it is obviously not my fault. I usually agree to wait a bit longer just because I know how Australia Post is...
Old 20-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Kev11 (Kevin)

Never had a problem with Aust Post; endless problems with couriers. The major transport companies claim our district does not exist even though it straddles the Hume Highway, refuse to deliver to nearest town (pop 6000). Couriers are too convenient to suppliers because they pick up versus having to go to the Post Office. Fortunately, Aust Post in the town will now act as drop off for couriers (for small parcels) - how ironic.
Old 20-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Kunama

4 out of 4 parcels arrived safe and well this week, including a Wedgwood platter that the idiot sender forgot to wrap with anything but brown paper, not even a square inch of bubble wrap.

I must touch wood now !!!
Old 20-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Hagar (Doug)

What can you say? Australia Post is only surpassed by Telstra or is it the other way around. Lets call it a ball up.
My father in law use to call a football, Ball up, a BALLS UP. It fairly sums these two up.