Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 06-10-2020, 12:37 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
Hi Alex. These binos are not tripod friendly. I can't keep them still enough making it very frustrating to see things.
Ah, I suspected that could have been the case, but I didn't ask.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:31 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
Good point. I have astigmatism in my right eye but I do wear prescription glasses which correct this. Just need to find binos that can accommodate this.
I've got bad astigmatism in both eyes - which is why I like 4mm exit pupil binoculars like 10X40s and 15x70s, as they minimize it to some degree. I've got binoculars with long eye relief where I could wear eyeglasses while using them, but the field is always narrowed, so I don't like using them that way.

Curiously, with my 7mm exit pupil binoculars - the astigmatism is really annoying in some pairs like my 7X50 Fujinons and 10X70 Nikons, but doesn't bother me much in my older 7X50 Fuji Meibos or my 9x63 Orions.

I fixed my 10X70 Nikons by getting the optometrist to cut the old eyeglass lenses being replaced into circles, with a mark up the top of the cut lenses (one mark for right eye, two for left eye) to indicate orientation for my eyes. Then I stuck them onto the eyepieces of the 10X70s with Blutack. Worked well.

I forgot that my Vanguard Endeavour pair also doesn't have the standard tripod attachment.
Regards,
Renato
Old 07-10-2020, 08:15 PM
AstroOz (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Hey Adrian,

7X50 binos are the quintessential astro binos. Such a set will be a very good start. Even from under urban skies they will reveal a lot of detail.

If you have some physical difficulties, stabilization by any means is a good idea. Stabilization even with no difficulties is a good idea too for astro as hand-holding binos above your head is difficult at the best of times, and trying to do so with a steady hand for a good couple of minutes or longer, it's not just hands that become heavy, but your neck isn't going to be especially happy either

Whatever set you do end up getting, just be patient with them and yourself. Using binos AND telescopes at night is a totally different proportion from using your eyes during the day. Viewing things at night that are of low illumination means having to re-train your eyes on how to see again.

This following link will take you to a thread I started that will show you how to make the most of your human eyes, and a whole lot of other observing tips:

Understanding Nebulae - what it is you are looking at

Alex.
I came for this comment. Am new to IIS, and had been recommended 7x50’s for visual astronomy. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:25 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroOz View Post
I came for this comment. Am new to IIS, and had been recommended 7x50’s for visual astronomy. Thanks for the confirmation.
I'd point out that for decades, most older books recommended the 7X50s as the best for beginners at astronomy. But the more recent books recommend 10X50s more often.

7X50s are great if one has a dark sky, and are especially good when looking at Milky Way star clouds in that dark sky. Their 7mm exit pupil gives one the brightest image one can get, and they have a wide field of view.

But 10X50s give nicer images in the more typical light polluted skies of nowadays, and will always show more faint deep sky objects in either type of sky than 7X50s. Their main disadvantage relative to 7X50s is that shaking will be more noticeable and that they'll have a narrower field of view.
Regards,
Renato
Old 08-10-2020, 12:18 AM
raymo

Apart from the fact that they are fairly expensive, I am surprised that nobody
has suggested stabilised binoculars, considering your tremor. We were discussing them in another thread only a week or so ago.
raymo
Old 08-10-2020, 03:06 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Apart from the fact that they are fairly expensive, I am surprised that nobody
has suggested stabilised binoculars, considering your tremor. We were discussing them in another thread only a week or so ago.
raymo
Good point.
I've noticed 15X50s show up used on Ebay every now and then for between $700 and $800.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited by Renato1; 08-10-2020 at 04:35 PM.