Old 08-08-2018, 08:56 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

ISP Suggestions

My partner and I are about to take possession of our brand new home.
Part of the "fun" of this experience is we get to decide where to gte a good deal on our internet connection. The wrinkle with this is that we get on this site FTTH (Fibre to the Home) via an Optical fibre point inside our garage. We have been given a list of ISPs and i have gone through a few of tem selecting about 6, some bigger ones (iiNet, iPrimus etc) and some smaller ones I have never heard of (Exetel, Clear, Active8me etc)
My question is, is there a resource that I can find out other peoples reviews or experiences with these various providers? Especially with FTTH rather than NBN/ADSL etc.

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 09-08-2018, 02:13 AM
Exfso (Peter)

I am with Aussie broad band, cannot fault them. My previous experience with IINet left a really bad taste.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:23 AM
luka
Unregistered User

I heard only the best about Aussie Broadband. It will be my choice once NBN comes here.

A good place to ask and read about people's experiences with various ISPs is Whirlpool forum.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:39 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hi Malcolm,

Congratulations on your new abode I chose my house 4 years ago on the premise that it had FTTP/N. It was being layed in the street as we unpacked. 4 weeks later we got the txt that it was available. I put in my application no later than the time it took to walk upstairs and turn on my PC

The Whirlpool suggestion is spot on, and in nearly all cases (at this point in time), so is the Aussie Broadband suggestion too. If they have a product of sufficient "quantity" (traffic limit) within your budget, then go for it (Aussie).

I run TPG at home myself, and regularly benefit from the "unlimited" traffic nature of their product. Running a "share house", so to speak, we don't need the notion of limited download as an issue. TPG have treated us very well, with only 2 bad months in the last 2 years.

It's worth noting that various ISPs will invest in a certain amount of "CVC" at each "POI". This will influence the quality of your connection, especially in high demand times. Some reading here:
https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nb...n-network.html

In this, the experience (and therefore opinion) of a person connected to a different POI, at a different location, may not apply to your possible experience, using the same RSP (ISP).

Aussie Broadband have been bold enough to publish their CVC utilisation rates for each POI:
https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/cvc-graphs/

You can see where you are here:
https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-poi/

Exetel used to do this in the ADSL only days, before things went somewhat downhill.

Sounds like I'm selling Aussie Broadband... I dunno, I've never used them. The networking team at my work all use them, which is a good sign. For my situation, they are out of my price range however.
EDIT: They've dropped $30 per month since the last time I looked... hmmm..

Sorry about the wall of text. I appreciate your contribution to my impending Starparty thread. I hope the above helps

Short version - where possible, read about each RSPs performance in the area you live in, not merely Australia wide. There's also the issue of how much international backhaul is being leased by each, but that's another story best left to the more informed.

Last edited by AndyG; 09-08-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: karnt spel
Old 09-08-2018, 09:25 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

internode.on.net

I was with them from 2004 to 2017. Best customer service... still have my email accounts with them after I moved to the USA.

OIC!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

We're in the process of moving and the new area is just undergoing connecting to NBN - FTTN. I've taken the opportunity to switch to Aussie Broadband as well - support has been good and the install was relatively painless.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:06 PM
drylander (Peter)

I will second internode.on.net been with them since they started and best is they have a local help line not o/s if you need them. Good pricing and service.
Pete
Old 09-08-2018, 02:24 PM
Exfso (Peter)

At least when you call Aussie, you get to speak to an Aussie and there is very little wait time. Their call centre in in Victoria.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:48 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Thanks for all the replies guys, very much appreciated. Not sure if Aussie do FTTH service.
Will check out Whirlpool also.

Malcolm
Old 09-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Wavytone

Very happy internode customer here (18 years)... only reasons I’ve ever had to call them were to move house or change plans.

See Whirlpool for sure.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:29 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, very much appreciated. Not sure if Aussie do FTTH service.
Will check out Whirlpool also.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm,

If they do NBN then they do whatever service NBN install into your home FTTH, FTTN, FTTC, HFC etc.

They don't control the physical install. They provide the "service" on top of whatever NBN connection is provided.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:30 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Hi Malcolm,

If they do NBN then they do whatever service NBN install into your home FTTH, FTTN, FTTC, HFC etc.

They don't control the physical install. They provide the "service" on top of whatever NBN connection is provided.
Sorry Trevor, I wasn't clear. The area we are moving into is a new development. It doesn't use the NBN, rather FTTH via Opticomm. We bypass the NBN completely, so ISPs have to have a deal with Opticomm for us to use them.

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 09-08-2018, 07:35 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I used to whole-heartedly support Westnet. When IINet bought them out, the service went to hell in a handbasket, and you speak to the usual suspects who don't have a clue rather than the once proud Westnet Aussie guys and gals in Perth. IINet is the WORST ISP I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with - they stalled and stalled trying to give us internet when we moved to the ACT for 3 months, yet still had the audacity to charge us for providing NOTHING every month til I cancelled them (then barred them from direct deductions and had my bank recover the funds stolen from us). We ended up going to Telstra, that also dropped the ball for a month and a half (claimed they "lost" our order), but honestly have not had any issues apart from being on ADSL 1 (GRRRRRRRRRRR).

NBN has been yet again been pushed back in our area...we MAY get it now 2019. NBN Co's rollout map does not even give us a date.... Was promised Sept 2018.

RANT OVER. No suggestions from me sorry
Old 09-08-2018, 08:16 PM
TheCrazedLog

Aussie broadband is my recommendation. I've been able to give them very technical information in the initial email to them and their people have picked it up and ran with it.