Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 17-08-2018, 03:21 PM
Nath2099

Hardware/Software LiveStack Process

Hi, I'm hoping to get some help understanding which software does what, sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I am looking at going out tomorrow night and want to make sure I'm somewhere on the right track, so I can actually get something... not bothered by the quality at this stage. I have it set up in the loungeroom atm.

The gear I have incase it's relevant is an Esprit 120 scope, EQ6-R mount, AS1071MC-Cool main camera, and ASI120MM guide camera (which I prob won't use for the time being).

Software is Stellarium, StellariumScope, EQMOD and SharpCap.

I am able to slew the scope to targets in Stellarium (assuming ok polar alignment, and initial correction of targeting via game controller through EQMOD, cntrl+3 to align where the scope actually is to where Stellarium thinks it is), this is where I start to get a bit confused though. It looks as though once you pick a target in Stellarium the mount will continue to track that target correct? I assume if you target a planet as opposed to a star it'll move quicker...? If it is the case that it's tracking through Stellarium, is it that that is not very accurate, hence the need for a separate tracking camera? Can this tracking camera just be plugged from the camera to the auto-guide on the mount? If so, do I need additional software for this or does it just happen magically?

Into SharpCap, it can see the main camera, I set exposure etc to auto, point it at a target via Stellarium, then just start Live Stacking? It seems SharpCap is also talking to the mount via EQMOD...does it need to?

Sorry if these are silly questions but it's all a bit confusing atm...

Thanks for any help!
Old 17-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Imme (Jon)

One step at a time Nath!
Firstly I'd suggest if it is planets you are after a Espirit120 by itself isn't going to get you there as you wont have the magnification.....you'll definitely need to barlow up for that.
Guiding......look at that as a separate mount control system that locks on a star eith through an off axis guider or a separate guidescope (look at the PHD2 program to manage this). Without active guiding your mount will track at sidereal rate across the sky which, depending how good your polar alignment is will allow you to extend the length of your exposures (as long as it is turned on)

.....I think you have some more tinkering to get through and plenty more reading.
I'd suggest to help you get through this with the least amount of pain you should start with one question/issue at a time otherwise it will overwhelm you.

....google is your friend
Old 17-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Nath2099

Hi Jon,

Ideally I'd like to live stack a nebula or galaxy. I've had it out a few times but through various issues have ended up whacking in a barlow and eyepiece and looking at Saturn, Jupiter and the moon, and repositioning manually... which is cool don't get me wrong! I think I've sorted out most of those basic problems.

Assuming I get the polar alignment right (I use PoleMaster which makes it a bit easier), or not great but close enough, and the EQMOD, StellariumScope/Stellarium setup works as it does in the loungeroom, can you suggest a nebula or galaxy target from Sydney that I can use the default settings in SharpCap, and without proper tracking, and have a good chance of seeing something?

Thanks,
Nath.
Old 17-08-2018, 06:24 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

There's a lot of good stuff up now. How about M8 Lagoon Neb - its high in the sky. Sounds like you have polar alignment sorted. If you want to live stack go for 15sec (or if you have a longer attention span than me - 30sec) subs, gain about 100-150 (its just a bit above unity). Stack and stretch - you should see something pretty cool within a few minutes.

Then just hoon around that area and you'll get half a dozen nice things (triffid, eagle, omega nebs).

If you can take flats before (sky flats before it gets dark is fine - use the sharpcap flats feature), then you'll be able to really stretch them a lot. Cooling, -5C will be enough with this camera if you want to bother with it.

Then put up a pic for us to see!!
Old 17-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Nath2099

Thanks Chris,

Is the tracking in Stellarium good enough to take 15 second subs?

I won't promise pics, I'm thinking we're a 50/50 chance of getting anything at all!
Old 17-08-2018, 08:03 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I don't know eqmod but I assume it's your mounts tracking? Whatever it is, it should be enough - have a go and see !

15 & 30sec should be fine without guiding. Even if you polar alignment isn't spot on. Sharpcap stacking will align it all up for you