Old 20-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Which CCD camera for DSO Imaging

Hi all,
I would love your thoughts on which Camera would be good for DSO imaging with an ED80 and Tak FS102. I have been trying to find reports on DMK41 camera with 1/2" CCD but I have been unable to find much. I have a limitted budget so Starlight and SBIG are out of the question at the moment.
I have a 350D but would like a decent CCD camera.
Can you help?????
Old 20-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Gama

Dont knock the 350.
I think you should stick to this camera and gain some good experience.
Also the beauty is its color already. So no taking RGB etc etc.
If your not producing good pictures with the 350 now, then your going to have a bigger problem with the cooled CCD cameras.

Theo.
Old 21-12-2007, 05:01 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I've been thinking about my next camera purchase too, Doug, but Theo is right - there's still a huge learning curve with the basics of DSO imaging and image processing, before spending several thousand dollars on a new DSO imaging camera.

I wouldn't recommend the DMK4x as a DSO camera.. yes, it can do it with up to 60min exposures, but it's not designed for that. You'll get a much better result with the 350D. If you want to stick with a DSLR, get it modified and increase the h-a and red sensitivity.

Spend time learning the craft with your 350D, which is a more than capable DSO imaging device, and in the meantime, save your pennies for a ST2000XCM or a cooled, modded 400D or something.
Old 21-12-2007, 08:55 AM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Hi Doug

I would have to agree with what has been said so far. The 350D and the Tak FS-102 are an awesome combination, at the Prime Focus (f/8) the 350D combination has an excellent arcsecond to pixel ratio and on most nights, it uses the full resolution of the Tak. When you consider, most nights the seeing will be around 1.5 - 2 arcseconds, this falls nicely with what that combination of telescope and camera operate best at.

Best of all, that combination produces a nearly flat field across the whole frame.

I have decided to take the next step up to an SBig ST4000XCM after quite a few years with the 350D but am not going to disregard the 350D, it will be my field imaging camera and, in my humble opinion, I don't think you will get a much better camera to develope your skills on.

All the best with your decision.

Cheers
Old 21-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Hagar (Doug)

OK you all win I really think your comments are justified. I was just looking for something a little different to fiddle with. I might spend a little on a motorised focuser that I can drive from the computer and make focusing a little easier.

Got to fiddle and play.
Thanks
Doug
Old 21-12-2007, 09:40 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

If you want to just dip into the dedicated cooled CCD imaging pool you might want to consider an ATiK16 colour camera. The chip is only small, but I've had a lot of fun with my little mono camera. Unfortunately the TE isn't controlled.
Old 21-12-2007, 09:12 PM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

Build a Hartmann mask if focus is an issue, you won't regret it. A modified design that creates diffraction spikes is very nice to have in that it lets you know you have precisely reached critical focus.
Old 24-12-2007, 03:56 PM
meade expert

I started back in 1992 with an LX200 and SBIG st6 camera and colour filter wheel for tricolour images and I had a lot of fun taking DSO images

Learn't alot about many things eg.Polar alignment...it was part of the journey.

Years later I bought a Meade DSI ,Nikon D70 and 350D and my enjoyment continued into new realms. Each camera had different characteristic that suited different forms of imaging , some wide some narrow.

Bought an ED80 to image through and each camera gave me something different.

Recently I have Bought an SBIG ST237A camera (secondhand)with internal colour filter wheel and yes its a small chip but it has certain features like sensitivity , cooling,autoguiding that make it worthwhile and I look forward to this journey.

So I guess no matter what camera you buy you will have heartaches and great joy from the journey you will embark on.

I certainly have!
Old 27-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Thanks for t,he advise. I have just got home with a new Canon 40D. I hope the live view feature with the 3" lcd WILL HELP WITH FOCUS.
This camera is quite a bit bigger than the 350D so I will need to rebalance my setup.

Cheers
Doug