Old 13-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Question Aligning piggybacked scopes?

Folks,

Any suggestions on how to get two scopes aligned when piggybacked?

I'll be sporting two small(ish) refractors at AstroFest and want to be able to image with both simultaneously.

Any suggestions/gizmos that can do this with as little grief/expense possible?

Cheers,
Dunk
Old 13-08-2017, 06:05 PM
glend (Glen)

What i do to align my guide scope and my imaging scope is to use the target reticle in Metaguide and the centre cross in SGP Frame and Focus. Align the scope camera first to a star target, then adjust the guidescope to the same centred target. It works.

Another way is to use SGP Frame and Focus to align your imaging camera on the first scope first, then deselect the first imaging camera and select the second camera on the second scope, align the second scope. This assumes you have the ability to adjust the second scope without moving the mount (which is aligned on the star during step one).

If you want rotation to match, take a SGP Frame and Focus sample image with the first camera, then switch to the second in another window and rotate the second camera to get close to field orientation. Think of it an manual plate solving.
Old 13-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Thanks Glen.

It's the mechanicals I've got more of a problem with my small scope is currently screwed to a dovetail which in turn is screwed to the top of the rings of my Esprit. It's just lacking the precision that would put my mind to rest.
Old 13-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I've found the following, and wonder if it's sold enough not to exhibit any flexure:

http://skywatcheraustralia.com.au/pr...descope-mount/

Anyone got one?
Old 13-08-2017, 07:04 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
I've found the following, and wonder if it's sold enough not to exhibit any flexure:

http://skywatcheraustralia.com.au/pr...descope-mount/

Anyone got one?
Yep, that is the guidescope mount i use on my 10" Inaging Newt. It is very good at X and Y axis adjustment with my 60mm guidescope but i don't know how it would go with a heavier scope and camera. It has gotten abit sloppy in the two years i have been using it. It uses a nylon bushing and springs on each axis.

If i was piggy back mounting my TS80 and my TS115, i would be tempted to get one of these, in the appropriate size:

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/lo...e-scope-rings/

Teleskop -Express has some solutions, like rings that can mount to the top of you larger scope rings, like this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...to-127-mm.html

For elimination of flex i would attach a Vixen or Losmandy top rail and mount the rings on that.
Old 14-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah I'd looked for the Losmandy rings first but no one seems to have them in stock and there's no chance of getting anything from afar before AstroFest

Will see if I can get hold of the SW...
Old 14-08-2017, 05:46 PM
glend (Glen)

That Skywatcher Guidescope mount is instock at Andrews, for $199. If your still looking for one you can get before Astrofest.
Old 14-08-2017, 06:16 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

http://www.astroshop.com.au/products...sp?id=MAS-023P

How large is the other refractor other than your 100? I have a set of rings with an ID of 63mm with 3 point adjustment screws you could have for $25 (posted Express included)
Old 14-08-2017, 07:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
http://www.astroshop.com.au/products...sp?id=MAS-023P

How large is the other refractor other than your 100? I have a set of rings with an ID of 63mm with 3 point adjustment screws you could have for $25 (posted Express included)
Based on Dunk's Wanted in the Classifieds, i have today sent my set of TS 90mm ID rings to Dunk via Express Post. I think he needs 70-80mm ID min.
Old 14-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

All great suggestions, thanks chaps I've been at a mate's place this evening abusing his drill on a piece of ally as a plan B!

The second scope is my WO Z61 which has a body diameter of 70mm.

Given that it's Ekka this week and Wednesday is a day off, I'd be really pushing my luck getting anything before the Fest by post at this point.