Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 31-05-2018, 12:04 PM
glend (Glen)

I noticed today that Amazon has announced it will no longer ship to Australia from 1 July. They seem to be suggesting that you can still access Amazon products through Amazon.com.au which will charge GST at point of sale. Whether the full range of Amazon products will be supported this way is unclear. Some astro rerailers in the US do sell through Amazon and have shipped to Australia in the past.

With just 30 days to go till the GST change applies to purchases of less than $1000, it is time to order stuff you might want now.

I would like to know what Teleskop-Express intends to do post 1 July, as I buy from them. For big stuff, over the threshold, they can get UPS to collect but for small stuff it is still a question to be answered.
Old 31-05-2018, 12:45 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I noticed today that Amazon has announced it will no longer ship to Australia from 1 July. They seem to be suggesting that you can still access Amazon products through Amazon.com.au which will charge GST at point of sale. Whether the full range of Amazon products will be supported this way is unclear. Some astro rerailers in the US do sell through Amazon and have shipped to Australia in the past.

With just 30 days to go till the GST change applies to purchases of less than $1000, it is time to order stuff you might want now.

I would like to know what Teleskop-Express intends to do post 1 July, as I buy from them. For big stuff, over the threshold, they can get UPS to collect but for small stuff it is still a question to be answered.
Wont "Hardly bloody normal" et al be pleased. We'll I've boycotted them for years so it's just one more reason to live a minimalist existence. Useless bloody government on all levels. Who were the morons that voted them in?
Old 31-05-2018, 12:56 PM
rrussell1962

I think that only overseas vendors who are above the GST threshold are required to register and collect GST on purchases under $1000 from 1 July, but I don't follow these matters too closely these days.
Old 16-06-2018, 03:17 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Strictly speaking the changes only apply to companies with an annual turnover over $75,000, so nothing will change with small companies or somebody who is selling their personal belongings privately. Of course eBay monitors messages, so we cannot just ask a small seller to send us an invoice outside eBay.
Old 16-06-2018, 06:58 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
Strictly speaking the changes only apply to companies with an annual turnover over $75,000, so nothing will change with small companies or somebody who is selling their personal belongings privately. Of course eBay monitors messages, so we cannot just ask a small seller to send us an invoice outside eBay.
And just who has to document that to whom? Sounds like another scam for Custom Brokers to attach a fee. You can bet that the people at Customs are not going to be interested in proving the origin of a package.
Old 16-06-2018, 07:32 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I haven't bothered to read the new regs etc, but I assume the GST will be on everything. So, if say my OS inlaws send my kids a birthday present, we aren't aware about it, and then get hit GST to receive it at the post office....

This is "fair" exactly how? Idiotic Turncoatbullsh!t yet again.
Old 16-06-2018, 07:33 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
And just who has to document that to whom? Sounds like another scam for Custom Brokers to attach a fee. You can bet that the people at Customs are not going to be interested in proving the origin of a package.
From what I have heard companies with an annual turnover over $75,000 have to register for GST and are responsible for items under $1000 and have to apply GST at checkout, while Customs are responsible for items over $1000. Pretty weird. If anything I think it would be easier to apply GST at checkout to all items, not only those under $1000.
It is also certainly possible that some companies with an annual turnover over $75,000 won't register for GST and think to get away with it.
Some companies don't even know how to do it. Amazon has already blocked Aussies, eBay is still working on it and said the change implies a lot of other changes, so a private company with an annual turnover over $75,000 probably won't even know how to do it.
iHerb also told me that they are "working on it".
At any rate I am trying to buy whatever I liked on my watch list from overseas now. I am kissing goodbye to the solar scope I intended to buy in the near future, at least for the moment.
Old 16-06-2018, 08:13 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

From an old article: "If passed, Australia would be the first country to require foreign sellers and marketplaces to collect and remit GST on any item, no matter how small."
This will also affect winning auctions for items overseas, as other bidders don't have to pay an additional 10%, so they can place higher bids.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...20-gvorgv.html

Is there a chance this will reverted one day?
Old 16-06-2018, 01:28 PM
rrussell1962

Quote:
Exactly, in terms of documentation, the way the Act is phrased overseas sellers who have more than $75K of Australian sales each year should register for GST in Australia. There is a simplified registration and payment procedure they can use. The unanswered questions are 1. Do the overseas sellers even know about this ridiculous law? 2. How will every parcel arriving in Australia be monitored? 3. What happens if the law is just ignored?