Old 18-01-2018, 09:03 AM
Borneogoat (Murphy)

First night viewing & some issues

I got myself my first telescope over the holidays. BT200 f/5 Newt, HEQ5 Synscan, and some EPs. Persistent cloudy weather has kept me from having a real viewing until last eve. I did get the finder scope aligned and played with the Synscan drive a bit during the holidays.

Last night the weather and spare time aligned. I skipped polar aligning the mount, just intending on random observations to have some fun. Polar alignment for GOTO is a bit daunting and I figured seeing anything would be exciting for a noob. Cooled the scope with its fan and waited for dark. However, when I meandered around the sky I could never get a good view of a star. Always a blue circular glob with a dark centre, like a fish/frog egg. I focused all in to all out and changed between TV Plossl 32mm and Orion 12.5mm. Same for both EPs. The focus all out seemed to be closest, but still far from focused. Or maybe, this is what bad collimation looks like?

I'm at a loss for what else to try, but the weather looks good for tonight. Any ideas what I'm missing???
Old 18-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borneogoat View Post
I got myself my first telescope over the holidays. BT200 f/5 Newt, HEQ5 Synscan, and some EPs. Persistent cloudy weather has kept me from having a real viewing until last eve. I did get the finder scope aligned and played with the Synscan drive a bit during the holidays.

Last night the weather and spare time aligned. I skipped polar aligning the mount, just intending on random observations to have some fun. Polar alignment for GOTO is a bit daunting and I figured seeing anything would be exciting for a noob. Cooled the scope with its fan and waited for dark. However, when I meandered around the sky I could never get a good view of a star. Always a blue circular glob with a dark centre, like a fish/frog egg. I focused all in to all out and changed between TV Plossl 32mm and Orion 12.5mm. Same for both EPs. The focus all out seemed to be closest, but still far from focused. Or maybe, this is what bad collimation looks like?

I'm at a loss for what else to try, but the weather looks good for tonight. Any ideas what I'm missing???
Hi Murphy,
This definitely sounds like a focus problem.

According to Bintel site, this scope is produced for astrophotography.
So it will come to focus on an attached DSLR.

I confirmed with Bintel staff that for visual, you need to add an extension tube. This will allow it to come to focus with an eyepiece.

He said these are available for about $35 I think.

Hope this helps
Old 18-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Borneogoat (Murphy)

A ha! I'm not totally incompetent, I just need more toys. I'll tell the missus ASAP

Something like one of these?
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/or...ube-1-25-inch/
Old 18-01-2018, 10:10 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
A ha! I'm not totally incompetent, I just need more toys. I'll tell the missus ASAP

Something like one of these?
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/or...ube-1-25-inch/
yes. that sounds like the right piece.
Old 18-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Borneogoat (Murphy)

While I got the credit card out, do I need a collimation tool? There seems to be a few types. But this one specifically mentions Newts:

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/or...ting-eyepiece/
Old 18-01-2018, 11:59 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

I cannot understand why this scope would be recommended for a first visual scope for someone's introduction into this hobby ?
Old 18-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Borneogoat (Murphy)

Yeah, the selection is on me here. I skipped the Dob, due to storage considerations. I skipped the refracter, wanted affordable aperture. Skipped the SCT, too expensive with slow cooling. Ended up at on a Newt, cause it makes sense despite some drawbacks.
Old 18-01-2018, 03:01 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Quote:
While I got the credit card out, do I need a collimation tool? There seems to be a few types. But this one specifically mentions Newts:

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/or...ting-eyepiece/
That would do nicely mate Cheers Richard
Old 18-01-2018, 03:49 PM
doppler (Rick)

Re focus, rack the focus right out then slide the eyepiece out a bit, you might be lucky and get focus and still be able to tighten the eyepiece screws.
I would go for the 2" extension tube rather than the 1.25" one and check eBay for the Cheshire collimator I got mine for about $20 and from a Sydney warehouse.
Old 18-01-2018, 04:11 PM
raymo

You could buy a 2x Barlow lens and unscrew and remove the lens, and use it as an extension tube, and replace the lens when you need to use a Barlow.
raymo
Old 18-01-2018, 04:16 PM
tmz (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
You could buy a 2x Barlow lens and unscrew and remove the lens, and use it as an extension tube, and replace the lens when you need to use a Barlow.
raymo

Works on mine
Old 18-01-2018, 07:21 PM
astro744

Your 'scope has a 2" focuser so go with the 2" extension not the 1.25" one so that you can use it with 2" eyepieces. You can still use 1.25" eyepieces with the 2"-1.25" adaptor you should also have. Note the extension tubes come in different lengths; 35mm, 50mm and 80mm. You more than likely only need the 35mm one as the 50mm one may be too long. Check with the supplier of your telescope.

To test put a 2" eyepiece in the focuser and pull it out as far as it will go and still be able to be locked. If you can get focus then measure how far out the barrel is and over what part of the focuser travel you are operating over, I.e. Middle, racked in or racked out. You can also test this with a 1.25" eyepiece if you have but note the thickness of your adaptor in any measurements.
Old 18-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Do you have 2" eyepieces, or intend to get some short term?
If so, go with Astro's suggestion.
My recommendation, ring Bintel (as it's a Bintel scope) and discuss with them.
They are super helpful.
As long as you know what you want to do, they can help you.
Old 19-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Heathcote (Colin)

Focus

Hi, Had the same problem with my 14" Skywatcher Go-To. Bought an extension tube from Bintel and all OK. For any Newt style scope, a collimator is essential. My scope is a collapsible, so I collimate every time but for best viewing, I would recommend checking each time as you don't know if it has been knocked duting transport.