Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-03-2019, 07:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Fixing the inverter.

The lightning blew out the inverter and inspection shows its two capacitors that are gone..well not gone but sortta melted down☺...I get the impression no one wants to repair things but happy to suggest a new one...so although I dont know what I am doing couldnt I just buy two capacitors and solder them in place and see if it works...what could go wrong☺
Alex
Old 24-03-2019, 07:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have watched a youtube video on the history of electricity so I feel empowered☺
Alex
Old 24-03-2019, 08:30 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
The lightning blew out the inverter and inspection shows its two capacitors that are gone..well not gone but sortta melted down☺...I get the impression no one wants to repair things but happy to suggest a new one...so although I dont know what I am doing couldnt I just buy two capacitors and solder them in place and see if it works...what could go wrong☺
Alex
The risk is easy to define. Taking out all the electronics at your place, and putting your life at risk.
As for why no one wants to repair it, that's easy, if the capacitors have been slagged by the lightning strike, then its odds on that the rest of the electricals in the inverter have been damaged as well, even if, visually, they look OK.
Best play it safe and replace the entire inverter.
Old 24-03-2019, 08:50 PM
raymo

The risk is your choice of course Alex, but on a practical note, many boards
require a high temperature soldering iron; if you don't have one you will have the devil's own job removing the capacitors and installing the new ones.
in normal circumstances capacitors quite often get blown, and everything else is fine, but with a lightning strike, your chances of that are remote, as
remarked upon by JeniSkunk. Also, are the capacitor values still legible?
raymo
Old 24-03-2019, 10:39 PM
tempestwizz (Brian)

Not having seen the device, it’s hard to say definitely what the extent of your problems are. I think you are observing the symptoms of damage, but not necessarily the cause. My guess would be that the rectifier diodes are blown by the strike, causing the capacitors to be fed with AC voltage rather than DC, causing them to self destruct. Replacing the capacitors will cause a repeat of the damage. I’d suggest cutting your losses and bite the bullet for a replacement inverter.
I’m surprised though that there was no lightning protection in the inverter itself.
If you are operating in a lightning prone location, I’d suggest ensuring there is
a lightning protector in the replacement unit. In a former life we installed many protection circuits in the front end electronics of all our telecom equipment in the outback.
Easy to engineer and cheap if you need to make. Simply a fuse inline with the mains supply with a MOV (metal oxide varistor) across the power feed behind the fuse. MOV should be rated at say 400 volts for a 240 system. Idea is that if a high voltage induced by lightning carries down the mains line, the MOV will go dead short faster than the lightning transient and blow the fuse, thus protecting equipment further down the supply line. MOVs are only a few cents to buy. Far cheaper than another inverter.
Hope this helps.
Old 25-03-2019, 06:41 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks everyone I really do appreciate your feedback.
I have found out the new gel batteries require a different charger and the best course is to get a inverter/charger. .. which blows my hopes to buy a certain 120 mm refractor I had in mind.
I will ask about an MOV when I call Rainbow Power Company at Nimbin my preferred supplier for off grid stuff.
Alex
Old 25-03-2019, 11:06 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Interesting...Rainbow Power dont have anything in the way of lightning rods saying trees usually take care of the problem☺...I am thinking the old phone line is the problem and digging it up could help.
A new inverter/charger will cost around $1500 which I can manage but blows all hope of a new 120 mm.
Probably reconfigure everything and up the system to 24 volts...got the battery side worked out but not sure with the panels..must be much the same...parrallel series..that sort of thing.
Alex
Old 25-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Brian
Your spot on
I use to install and repair inverters and UPS ( 5kva up to 250kva ) on projects from time to time in the late 70’s to recently until I retired a few years ago
They always had short circuit and over voltage protection with high fault current HRC and MOV
Old 25-03-2019, 05:00 PM
dreamstation (James)

I'd say don't mess with it. Not worth the potential risks.
Old 26-03-2019, 12:31 PM
tempestwizz (Brian)

On the lightning issue: it’s not necessarily a direct strike that causes the problem, rather, a strike relatively near a power line will induce a huge surge that channels along the power line itself. I have witnessed power surge problems when the strikes near power lines have been kilometres from the damaged equipment that was connected to the same feed. Usually affected are farms or station buildings that are remote, and powered via long runs of overhead power line.
Old 26-03-2019, 01:43 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstation View Post
I'd say don't mess with it. Not worth the potential risks.
I agree. Hell, Alex. At 11,369 posts it is obvious that the Chat Room here could not survive if you were to cook yourself on a dodgy inverter. Take care - for our sakes if not your own!!

Peter
Old 26-03-2019, 02:23 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I agree. Hell, Alex. At 11,369 posts it is obvious that the Chat Room here could not survive if you were to cook yourself on a dodgy inverter. Take care - for our sakes if not your own!!

Peter
Thank you Peter ...yes thinking about a certain heater I incorrectly wired that knocked me for a six probably best not touch it☺...I will just stick to making the lightning rod.
Alex