Old 07-06-2017, 06:00 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Jupiter with only one Moon tonight

For eighteen minutes starting at midnight, only Callisto will be visible alongside Jupiter. Both Europa and Ganymede will have been occulted by Jupiter earlier in the evening and Io begins a transit at midnight. Ganymede emerges from Jupiter' limb at 12.18.
We have a clear night here, so I will keep an eye out on these events.
In the early morning a Ganymede eclipse begins, followed by a Europa eclipse reappearance and then the Ganymede eclipse reappearance. I suspect I will be in bed asleep when these events occur.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:12 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
For eighteen minutes starting at midnight, only Callisto will be visible alongside Jupiter. Both Europa and Ganymede will have been occulted by Jupiter earlier in the evening and Io begins a transit at midnight. Ganymede emerges from Jupiter' limb at 12.18.
We have a clear night here, so I will keep an eye out on these events.
In the early morning a Ganymede eclipse begins, followed by a Europa eclipse reappearance and then the Ganymede eclipse reappearance. I suspect I will be in bed asleep when these events occur.
I suspect it will still be raining here in Sydney !
Thanks Steve for these reports ...I've missed a few events due to
persistent rain in Syney..but still I'll wait for the next lot of transits and eclipses...esp Ganymede, and maybe its markings 1.5" disk..will be tough even in good seeing!

With thanks bigjoe.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)

It was interesting watching three of Jupiter's Moon converge on the planet and slowly disappear last night. Ganymede's occultation disappearance began at 9.49, then Europa' occcultation disappearance started at about 11.12. Finally, Io started a transit ingress at midnight which left Callisto all on its own.
Ganymede's occultation reappearance started at about 12.18. After watching this reappearance it was time for bed.
To observe these events I simply returned to Jupiter about 10 minutes before the scheduled time and then observed the full event unfold. Saturn was a fine sight and the Moon's terminator held a lot to explore whilst waiting.
Seeing and transparency were good. Scope: VixenNA140SS and LVW5 giving 160X.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Thanks Steve,

Your reports are always an enjoyable read, especially since the events were too late & too cold for me. (16C- considered cold it these parts. )
Old 08-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)

Ha ha ... it was a reasonably mild night here for June - all of 4 degrees. I keep myself nice and toasty in a full head to toes freezer suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
Thanks Steve,

Your reports are always an enjoyable read, especially since the events were too late & too cold for me. (16C- considered cold it these parts. )