Old 26-01-2017, 03:01 PM
NoTan2 (Paul)

Zuess 10 x 50 Binoculars

I have an old pair of binoculars which belonged to my father. They are decades old. Ever since I've had them, they've suffered from misalignment and, not knowing any different, I assumed they were faulty and they've been gathering dust.

Then I chanced on an online discussion of collimating binoculars and it occurred to me that I might be able to adjust these and make them usable again.

After some searching, I located one of the prism adjustment screws and after a quick tweak all is well. I cleaned years of dust off the optics and now I can see stuff through them.

They're labelled "ZUESS 10 x 50" with no indication of the country of origin. I can only find two vague references to them online.

As soon as the clouds clear, I'll point them at the sky and see what I can see. Even if they're vaguely reasonable, they might be just the thing when I can't be bothered dragging the dob outside.

Does anyone know anything about them?
Old 26-01-2017, 09:10 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Photos , we need lots of photos taken from all angles , this will make it easier to identify them .

Most older binos are pretty good , I once got a pair of ' Airport ' , I think they were air traffic controller binoculars 7x50's at a Police auction and these were awsome !! , until some scum at an observing night decided they were better off with him/them ..

Brian.
Old 26-01-2017, 10:19 PM
PCH (Paul)

You sure it doesn't say 'ZEISS'? In which case they're German and were once very nice quality!
Old 27-01-2017, 09:58 AM
NoTan2 (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
You sure it doesn't say 'ZEISS'? In which case they're German and were once very nice quality!
Definitely "ZUESS", Paul. When I first saw the name (especially on an optical item) I thought it was just a touch cheeky.

When you search for the name, you can see a few people mistakenly referring to their (almost certainly Zeiss) optics as "Carl" (or even "Karl") "Zuess".
Old 27-01-2017, 10:16 AM
NoTan2 (Paul)

Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1270001_DxO.jpg)
160.4 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (P1270002_DxO.jpg)
167.7 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (P1270003_DxO.jpg)
177.9 KB21 views
Old 27-01-2017, 10:44 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

they look like a 1970's Japanese knock-off of zeiss, there were many copies coming out of Japanese factories at the time, even though they were fakes, the internals on them are quite decent, often beter than wat you find in cheap chinese binos of today

I see you're missing the tripod screw cap -you may have found the Japanese makers stamp there, try the objective end near the bridge for a small stamp [usually a letter with a curl or something added]
Old 27-01-2017, 10:59 AM
NoTan2 (Paul)

Thanks Daniel,

I can't see anything but I'll have a closer look later.

So they would have had a tripod attachment originally? I can't hold them steady so I was just going to cable tie them to one of my tripods.
Old 27-01-2017, 12:26 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

I think youll find cable ties don't work, Nikon used to make a holder with strap you could affix them to, binoc u mount is its mine, used ot be 550