ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Grab and Go Refractor

Since Lewis put his 76mm Tak up I have been thinking about getting a small grab and go refractor. With a 5.1" refractor for imaging and a 12" dob for deeper skies (dark site), I think I will be in need for a fast cooling refractor for those nights where I may just want to look at the moon or planets at home in a pinch. I know I'll probably end up wanting a small alt-az mount.

Refractor wise I am thinking around the 60-80mm mark. Not planning on doing any imaging with it so with that in mind a well corrected doublet may be all thats needed.

On the TeleVue line there is the TV-60,76 & 85.
Could go down the path of the SW ED80 (cheap alternative but still pretty good quality).
On the Takahashi side there is the 60, 76 or maybe the Sky-90.

Ultimately I'd probably rather the Tak over the TV, the Sky-90 for instance is cheaper than the TV-76 and is a fluorite doublet.

On that note, as I have never looked through a fluorite... Is it worth potentially spending that bit extra and going fluorite over a good FPL-53?

Although I had taken out my 130mm APO on two occasions, almost all of my refractor observations have been through a SW ED100. Very nice but I do think I want a premium grab and go for home use

Thoughts and suggestions are most welcome (begged for )
Old 22-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Kunama

Claude has a Sky90 in stock under $2K brand new.
Old 22-03-2016, 11:23 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Claude has a Sky90 in stock under $2K brand new.
That's why I mentioned it I have just been doing a bit of reading up on them and as a visual instrument the few reviews I found made them sound like they're far better suited towards AP and very sensitive to collimation.
Old 22-03-2016, 11:27 PM
DJT (David)

Hi Colin

I have a Tak FS60 with the 1.7 extender Q which makes it an fs60Q. This makes it quite versatile and if you are a glutton for punishment, the Q gives a perfectly flat field so I have occasionally slapped a DSLR on it to image bright clusters albeit at F10.

All fits nicely into a low pro rucksack along with a Teegul patrol. Just bring tripod. Awesome views with an Ethos 13 mm

Reviews here
http://scopeviews.co.uk/TakFS60Q.htm

Now venturing into solar system imaging with the Q setup and an ASI120 mm with filters for something a little different. Easy setup.

Havnt used the others you mention though.

Just remember to factor in all the takettes you need when comparing prices. AEC has a setup chart for what's needed for the FS60
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpeg)
125.0 KB42 views
Old 22-03-2016, 11:46 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Hi Colin,

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, Claude also has a couple of ES 80ED triplets (demos) for under $1000: a carbon fibre version and a "normal" one...

Have fun deciding!

- Dean
Old 23-03-2016, 12:16 AM
PRejto (Peter)

How about this one?

AT65EDQ

https://www.astronomytechnologies.co...actors_c7.aspx

The focuser is pretty decent and has a builtin flattener if the urge to image strikes. There are quite a few very decent images taken with this little scope. The price is certainly hard to go past.

Peter
Old 23-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Hemi

Hi I just ordered the es102 f7 triplet in Carbon fibre. It's only 3.2kg. At $1499 usd it includes a case and either a visual setup of accessories (high quality finder and eyepiece) or imaging (finder, flattener, hb filter). It's got some good reviews even though it only has Hoya Ed glass. And seems to be a good all rounder grab n go for visual and imaging.

.....first foray into posting outside the beginner threads: will post my experience for what it's worth once I've got it.
Old 23-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

There are certainly some nice smaller doublet and triplets, the demo model ones that Claude do look tempting.

Fluorite lens' have better colour rendition and contrast from what I have heard/read but I've never used one so its hard to compare stuff. If fluorite is worth it I'll go that bit extra and get a small Tak or something.
Old 23-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Kunama

The FS60CB is a great little scope, I used mine with a 3.5mm at 101x on the Moon and Jupiter/Saturn.
Old 23-03-2016, 11:42 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Considering the size of your current scopes I'd think a 60mm refractor would be too small. Although I used my SV66ED almost every night for the first couple of months the small aperture began to feel limited. I'd say you'd be better with something in the 75mm-90mm range.
Old 23-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I have a reasonably heavy duty Manfrotto tripod that I am planning on mounting the scope on. Handles my Nikon D700 and 24-120 F/4 like nothing even though it is very front heavy.

I think I've only ever looked through three refractors. An ED100, 130mm triplet and a $50 BigW thing my aunty bought a few years ago.

I'd love to make it to the Tak party but I have a feeling work is going to be in the way.
Looking for a scope I can basically have setup in a minute or two for lunar/planetary viewing for the most part. Probably hit some open clusters. Small scope for using in my quite heavily light polluted backyard
Old 23-03-2016, 02:56 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

a 4" or 5" mak will be good on lunar/panets -most have a tripod thread, are much cheaper but quick to setup -bonus is you don't need sub 5mm eyepieces to get high mag: the 4" pack small
the other thing you might look at is something like the regal 100 spotter, it takes 1.25" ep's also
Old 23-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Allan

I was in the same situation last year. I narrowed it down to a TV85 or FC76 for something to use for travel and quick sessions. I can't remember all the reasons why I chose the TV, but the extra aperture, included accessories and lower cost were a few reasons.

I didn't buy the TV85 expecting anything amazing from the optics, but I was stunned at how incredible this little telescope performs. Far better than I ever thought a doublet could perform.

Mounted on a DSV-M mount and gitzo carbon tripod it weighs about 7kg, so is easy to carry outside in one hand. I take it to the U.S. with me and it's been a great travel scope, which is what I mainly bought it for.
Old 23-03-2016, 11:05 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

+1 for the TV85.

I bought a TV85, with TV eyepieces, from a fellow IISer last year.

Saw for the first time a transit shadow of a Jupiter moon (in less than ideal seeing conditions) with this telescope.

I have found it to be a very convenient grab and go scope on a Bintel AzAlt mount. Quality-wise, it's definitely a keeper.
Old 23-03-2016, 11:08 PM
hamiland (Anders)

+1 for the Tak FS60 with the 1.7Q module, it is a versatile and light scope as has already been mentioned. Capable for widefield AP with a DSLR. Also upgradeable to the 76 by changing the objective. As mentioned above, Q module gives flat field at F10, otherwise Flattener for F6.2 or Reducer for F4.2 if you're Imaging. Looks ridiculous on a G11. Also the 6X30 finder is magic!
Old 24-03-2016, 10:29 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Borg travelscope

Another option for you: I can't rate my Borg ED89 highly enough as a travelscope. It's been on a few flights as hand luggage and at only 2.2 kg (OTA) is a breeze to cart around and mount. The aperture of 89 mm is decent as well - I had great views of Jupiter with a 3.5 mm XW earlier in the week at a Mag of 171X. Currently I mount on a DSV alt az, but plan to buy a Tak PM-SP EQ or a Teegul Sky Patrol for travel tracking.

Just to confuse you further - the Primaluce refractors now carried by Cris at AA exude class...
Old 24-03-2016, 01:48 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post

Although I had taken out my 130mm APO on two occasions, almost all of my refractor observations have been through a SW ED100. Very nice but I do think I want a premium grab and go for home use

Thoughts and suggestions are most welcome (begged for )
Does this mean you have an ED100 Colin?

I can't see what would be better than the ED 100 for visual G+G....actually I prefer a long FL Achro.

So the ED 100....cheapish, capable of wide fields and high powered stuff with the right mount.

Thats my thoughts
Old 24-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I am swaying towards the TV85 but I'm not in a huge rush at the moment, probably keep my eye on the IIS Classifieds mostly.

I had looked at the Borgs, I got the impression that they are pushed more towards AP than visual use.

I did have a SW ED100 until a few weeks back. It wasn't a scope that I'd taken out more than a hand full of occasions in 18 months. Very nice to use but it is too big for my alt/az mount which then meant that I'd be setting up a HEQ5.

Still have some more reading to see whether it is worth while going fluorite or just good general correction. I am thinking I may be better going with a good doublet over a triplet for both weight and quicker cool down. Not worrying about AP so absolutely perfect colour correction is probably not as important.
Old 24-03-2016, 03:37 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Colin, What about the Takahashi FC-100DF at AEC. Bit more aperture, still pretty light. Roughly same money. I think you mentioned in a post that you haven't looked through one? Now you can buy one (I hope to one day)
Old 25-03-2016, 06:41 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

What about an ED110 f/7 ? Sold by Astro Professional and some other brands. I have it and use it as a travel scope (even air travel) an excellent performer for visual and photographic use. An FPL-53 or other APO is even better, but way more expensive.