Old 21-07-2015, 11:08 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

QHY10 Bayer Matrix

I've been struggling with my new QHY10 - I had a couple of QHY8s in the past and they were a breeze compared with this camera.

The beginning of the problem has been getting the RAW FITS debayered. DeepSkyStacker has settings which can be tweaked for this. But they are not accompanied by any real help so it becomes a process of try-and-retry.

First, the Bayer Matrix seems to be different. The onkly setting I have found that produces coloyurs that are approximations of real is not the traditional RGGB but rather BGGR. That was a surprise.

Then colour weights. The settings are cryptic. There are three - one for brightness and one each for red and blue. None for green so the settings for red and blue, so the help file says, are relative to green. And brightness applies to all 3 channels. When set to 1,1,1 the results have a pronounced green fog background. In the end, and after many, many, attempts, I found that Brightness 0.97, Red 1.0 and Blue 1.005 gave me something I could at least begin to work with in Photoshop.

I'd be very interested to hear anyone else's experience with debayering these files from this camera.

Peter
Old 22-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Garbz (Chris)

That is very strange. The FITS files that come off my QHY10 are most definitely RGGB.

How are you capturing them? When you capture them do you get the full frame including the black overscan bars on the right? Maybe there's a cropping action happening somewhere that is confusing the software. What's the resolution of your files?

The pronounced green fog is quite normal and needs to be processed out as far as I could tell.
Old 23-07-2015, 03:38 AM
ReaPerMan (Paul)
Work & Play at Night

Hi Peter,

When I had my QHY10 I used CCDStack and I separated them into individual R,G,B files. CCDStack will do this automatically for you. I then processed the subs in the normal fasion. I found this much better than the one shot results that I was getting from DSS. I also allowed me to get Ha with an appropriate filter as all you use is the Red channel.

All the best

Paul
Old 23-07-2015, 03:50 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbz View Post
That is very strange. The FITS files that come off my QHY10 are most definitely RGGB.

How are you capturing them? When you capture them do you get the full frame including the black overscan bars on the right? Maybe there's a cropping action happening somewhere that is confusing the software. What's the resolution of your files?

The pronounced green fog is quite normal and needs to be processed out as far as I could tell.
I have been using Maxim. I also have Nebulosity 4 and there is a specific plugin for that so I'll run some subs with that and see what the results are.
I did a simple batch preprocess with PI a bit earlier and they came out alright so its beginning to look like a DSS thing.
Peter
Old 23-07-2015, 03:51 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaPerMan View Post
Hi Peter,

When I had my QHY10 I used CCDStack and I separated them into individual R,G,B files. CCDStack will do this automatically for you. I then processed the subs in the normal fasion. I found this much better than the one shot results that I was getting from DSS. I also allowed me to get Ha with an appropriate filter as all you use is the Red channel.

All the best

Paul
Thanks Paul. I'll give that a go too.
Peter