Old 19-05-2013, 11:20 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Observing Report 19/05/13

Started observing at 04:14 Temp 5° transparency 7-10 seeing 6-10 Stars were blobby but bright.
First observed 47Tuc which even with the average seeing was surprisingly bright.
First observed the Supernova in NGC428 (J01125) when it still very low down, only 16° above my eastern horizon and in the Zodiacal glow
Supernova was easily seen, but the galaxy it's self is low surface brightness and with the poor seeing was hard to see.
The two stars either side of the galaxy, at around 12th mag were at similar brightness to the Supernova.
The latest estimate for the SN is mag 12.5
It got better the higher it got,even though the sky was getting brighter.
I don't know why it is taking so long to give this Supernova a formal designation
Had a look at a few other objects,M's15,16,17, Ngc253,Ngc 7331, 47Tuc,the Veil Neb, Uranus and Neptune.
Called it a morning at 05:15.
Eye pieces used 17mm nagler 13mm nagler and 9mm nagler
Cheers

Last edited by astroron; 19-05-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 19-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Nice report there Ron thank you .

Maybe there's something of particular interest with this sn as to why it's taking so long to get a designation I wonder .

Oh boy, I'll never ever forget seeing the Veil nebula thru your 16" scope and dark skies- it just went on forever with so much detail!
I tried looking for it at my place- I failed, I'll have another go though. Being low on the horizon and facing the north (which faces the city) are challenging for that area for me. I wonder how others go with this amongst light pollution.
Old 19-05-2013, 02:15 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Nice report there Ron thank you .

Maybe there's something of particular interest with this sn as to why it's taking so long to get a designation I wonder .

Oh boy, I'll never ever forget seeing the Veil nebula thru your 16" scope and dark skies- it just went on forever with so much detail!
I tried looking for it at my place- I failed, I'll have another go though. Being low on the horizon and facing the north (which faces the city) are challenging for that area for me. I wonder how others go with this amongst light pollution.
Thanks Suzy.
It has not been given a type yet,which is a bit strange as it is so bright
Much fainter SN that have been discovered later are getting a type and designation before this one
An O111 or UHC filter will be required to observe the veil from your location.
Cheers