Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 18-12-2008, 08:08 AM
sacredblack (Steve)

Astronomik OIII CCD EOS-Clip and light pollution ?

Hi All,

Really enjoying reading all the wonderful articles on this site for general observing hints and astrophotography.

In the past I have made timelapse movies of star fields as part of my artistic pursuit. In the pursuit of image quality improvement I've got myself a EOS 1000d camera and made a intervalometer to control it. I've done some tests in the backyard (Blackwood in the Adelaide Hills) and have had some encouraging results. I think I've got the best exposure and speed versus noise and grey out (when the dark sky turns grey - I'm sure there's a more recognised term for this ?).

I'd like to improve that contrast and lessen the light pollution so that I get less grey and more stars - some milky way luminousity would be nice too.

I've been eyeing off the Astronomik CCD EOS-Clip filters at Bintel and wondering if this is a good solution. Also whether someone could give me an example of before and after shots.

I'm hoping there might be a www site where someone has done this comparison. Any leads would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve Roberts.
Old 18-12-2008, 12:40 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Hi Steve,
We're almost neighbours - I live in Hahndorf!
I assume you'll be using lenses to do your timelapse stuff?
Have a read at my experience with the clip in type of filter on my Canon 40D and 70-200mm f4L combo...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...CH+FILTER+WOES
I got severe internal reflections and had to revert to the screw in lens filter instead which I'm very happy with.
All the best
Doug
Old 18-12-2008, 01:57 PM
sacredblack (Steve)

Thanks for the reply !

The night sky must be nice in Hahndorf. I've managed to take my LXD 75 10" up to the Flinders Ranges on a couple of occasions and the skies were pretty damn clear.

Do you hang out with the Southern chapter of the South Astro club ? I've been meaning to give them a ring and hang out to learn from others ?

Yes I was planning to get a filter to clip onto my 18-55mm lens. Your results are bit concerning. Have you got any further with the problem ?

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 18-12-2008, 02:55 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

The night sky must be nice in Hahndorf. I've managed to take my LXD 75 10" up to the Flinders Ranges on a couple of occasions and the skies were pretty damn clear.

Not too bad in Hahndorf, some light pollution from town, nothing my Hutech filter can't handle!

Do you hang out with the Southern chapter of the South Astro club ? I've been meaning to give them a ring and hang out to learn from others ?

No, I'm purely a solitary backyarder!!

Yes I was planning to get a filter to clip onto my 18-55mm lens. Your results are bit concerning. Have you got any further with the problem ?

The clip in filter was returned to the dealer and I bought a 72mm equivalent which screws onto the front of my lens - works very well.

The Canon 18-55mm lens is an EF-S model as I recall, and I don't think you can use these clip in filters with EF-S lenses

Doug
Old 18-12-2008, 02:59 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Sorry mate,
From the Astronomik website...

Question:
I have some the EF-S lenses for APS format sensor cameras. Can I use these together with the Astronomik Clip-Filter System?

Answer:
No. Unfortunately the Clip-Filter System does not function with the EF-S series lenses. The EF-S series lenses extend further into the camera so that it is not possible to fit a filter between the lens and the camera.
Old 18-12-2008, 10:03 PM
sacredblack (Steve)

Geez shows you how much I knew. I imagined the filter went on the front of the lens

So do you think getting a 58mm filter and screwing to the front of the lens is an option ?

Also do you have some examples of with and without on a wide field shot ? That would be handy !

Cheers,

Steve R.
Old 18-12-2008, 10:45 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

If you're looking at a light pollution filter, the Hutech IDAS LPS2 is great but very expensive. They don't do a 58mm filter though. They seem to jump from 52mm up to 72mm - the latter being $309US/$436AU (Ouch!!!). You would need a 72-58mm step ring to attach it to your lens

Sorry can't help you with any before and after shots I'm afraid.
I can tell you that from my location exposures over 5 mins would begin to look fogged out, but with the filter on I can push way past that time with no fogging of the exposure.
Check out my images in the link below to view some stuff done with this filter - "LMC 200mm f4" is the most recent, and I used the filter on that to take 9 x 7 min shots.

Good luck, but it could get very pricey!
Doug

Last edited by dugnsuz; 18-12-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 18-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Tandum (Robin)

The coatings on the O3 filter you are asking about and the LPS2 filter doug had trouble with will have different reflective properties so you may not have the same issues as doug had. However, as doug stated, an EFS lens won't phyically fit into a camera with a front filter installed.

I used an astronomiks CLS front filter for ages without any of these issues but I rarely use a camera lens, it's almost always plugged into a scope. Regardless, I sold all those filters off and can still manage 15minute subs in the Brisbane suburbs and I can get images like this and this. I found putting a long dew guard on the scope made the images better for less money.

Both are taken at new moon without filters and I'm sure they would have been a lot better from a dark site etc etc, but they where shot from the back yard under city lights. I'm now playing around with narrowband filters for imaging while the moon is up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is suck it and see if you really need filters. Skyglow filters are there to resolve a problem, if you haven't even tried yet, then where is the problem?

Last edited by Tandum; 19-12-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 19-12-2008, 02:03 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

15 min subs Robin!!!!
Wow