Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Old 27-11-2019, 08:32 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Jupiter-Venus-Lagoon-Trifid conjunction.

I posted this image in the Nightscape section already but I think it qualifies as a Celestial & Astronomical event of significance and I have a question related to it, and that is what is the likelyhood of such a conjunction of the bright planets and bright nebulae happening again ?

The image shows this weeks conjunction between Jupiter and Venus, as well as the Lagoon and Trifid nebulae, as they set over Mt Warning in northern NSW.

Jupiter's largest moon Ganymede is also visible at the lower left of Jupiter.

I used a modified Canon 6D and a Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 Sports at 120mm F3.2. The foreground is a stack of 3 untracked photos ISO 3200 30 sec and the sky a stack of 5 tracked photos.

The sky was stacked in AstroPixelProcessor and the foreground median stacked in Photoshop.

Intermittent cloud and smoke from local bushfires made for challenging photo selection and editing - this is without doubt the most difficult image I've ever created.

Better quality version on Astrobin ...
https://www.astrobin.com/vm3oe1/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mt Warning Conjunction.jpg)
199.5 KB82 views
Old 27-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Excellent image , well composed, the smoke haze is bad enough down here , can't imagine what it is like up the north coast. The current conjunction and M8, M20 make for interesting composition possibilities. Add in the waxing crescent moon in the next few days a well and there should be some more imaging possibilities.
Old 27-11-2019, 11:31 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Excellent image , well composed, the smoke haze is bad enough down here , can't imagine what it is like up the north coast. The current conjunction and M8, M20 make for interesting composition possibilities. Add in the waxing crescent moon in the next few days a well and there should be some more imaging possibilities.
Thanks Jeff.

With the cloudy sky and smoke around here I've got no chance of getting anymore photos of this phenomenon unfortunately.

I'm curious as to how many years / decades / centuries until a similar alignment might occur.
Old 27-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I have not checked for close conjunctions with nebulae. Close conjunctions with open star clusters and globular clusters are worth looking out for too.

One event I have in my diary is an extremely close conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn on 22nd December 2020. That evening the two will be just under 8 arc minutes apart. This will be a stunning opportunity for visual observers and astro photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinKlein View Post
Thanks Jeff.

With the cloudy sky and smoke around here I've got no chance of getting anymore photos of this phenomenon unfortunately.

I'm curious as to how many years / decades / centuries until a similar alignment might occur.
Old 27-11-2019, 01:51 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Pretty cool. Nice catch. Good to see M8 in the lot.
Old 27-11-2019, 06:32 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Pretty cool. Nice catch. Good to see M8 in the lot.
Thanks Marc - there will be an even better line up tomorrow night with a special guest appearance by the newly illuminated moon - however I am unlikely to be able to see it due to expected heavy cloud.
Old 27-11-2019, 06:42 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post

One event I have in my diary is an extremely close conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn on 22nd December 2020. That evening the two will be just under 8 arc minutes apart. This will be a stunning opportunity for visual observers and astro photography.

I noticed that Steve when I was advancing through Stellarium week by week to see when Jupiter had any more good conjunctions preferably near the ground. It all fits comfortably with good detail in the FoV of my 183MC, 10" F4 and 2 x Powermate.

I'll be prepared to drive a long way to see this one, if the weather doesnt look good locally !

And on the 17th the new moon is also reasonably close.
Old 27-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Yes, I will certainly travel to find clear skies. I am limited though, to the confines of Tasmania. Sometimes there is just no where to go to find clear skies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinKlein View Post
I'll be prepared to drive a long way to see this one, if the weather doesnt look good locally !

And on the 17th the new moon is also reasonably close.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:58 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Since posting this image on my facebook page last week it's gone absolutely ballistic with it being shared over 1000 times around the world.

So I had a look at the type of people that are interested - its not nightscape imaging people, nor is it astrophotographers - I'm sure lots are just everyday people but it appears the bulk are Astrologers !

It seems I've captured something that most have never seen before and many are reading all manner of spiritual meaning & significance out of it.

This one that I got the next night (that got completely clouded in a couple of minutes later) with the moon is also getting quite a lot of attention from the Astrologers, though not nearly as much.

EDIT : 10-12-2019 In the last week this particular image is the one that's become immensely popular. Between the two images they have reached over 1 million people and been shared 10,000 times. I've seen no indication that anybody else captured this event that shows the Lagoon nebula as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mt Tamborine Conjunction IIS.jpg)
113.5 KB30 views

Last edited by CalvinKlein; 10-12-2019 at 10:50 AM.