Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Orion SkyQuest XXG-12

I bought this second hand about 18 months ago when I wanted that little bit extra aperture and cooling over a Meade LX-200 10". It does have both of these ahead of the Meade but it isn't getting used a lot, only for public outreach nights (last night in fact). Taken it to my dark site twice in 18 months for some brief viewing.

I've now decided to upgrade (downgrade?) to a Mewlon. Better cooling, better optics and longer focal length AND it can be equatorially mounted for comfortable binoviewing
Once the mirror cools down I have been very happy with the views. Like all mass produced dobs it could probably do with a secondary replacement but some of the views I had of Jupiter were earlier on before the moisture in the air softened everything (on a sports oval).

Only one handle has been attached on the base, the original owner somehow lost two of the screw threads that go into the wood so the hex screws have nothing to screw into. I've never used the handle anyway as there are plenty of grapple points. Probably a $5 fix if you know what you're looking for

The AZ motor cable got damaged at some point so it has been replaced with a blue cable with the same pin outs (Google was my friend) and it works just fine.

There was a tiny bit of damage on the very edge of the mirror that I didn't notice for a good 6 months, looks like it may have been brushed against something when it was being put together initially but it is hidden under one of the mirror clips so it has no effect on the views at all. It isn't a chip, looks like a damage of the coating. Completely hidden under the clip now however so it is a non issue to views.
Just mentioning as full disclosure.

Also comes with the Orion padded cases for Primary, secondary and the four double struts.

Pick up only as it is damned heavy! Collapses down to easily manageable parts it like all mass produced goto dobs, they ain't light.

Looking at $1500.
More pictures coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_3774.jpg)
181.0 KB103 views

Last edited by Atmos; 22-06-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Sold.
Old 17-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Dob base. Handle on the right side, not on left (not visible in pictures).

Random box of goodies, has second handle + hex bolts. EZ Finder, battery holder for 12V power (never used).

Orion Synscan controller with V4.? There is a case for the four struts and lids for the primary and secondary OTAs out of view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_3775.jpg)
199.5 KB67 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3776.jpg)
181.6 KB60 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3777.jpg)
194.7 KB59 views
Old 18-06-2017, 11:02 AM
m11 (Mel)

pm

Thanks,

Mel