Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives

Old 25-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Satchmo

Original Astro Optical Supplies 10" F6 Dobsonian

I'm listing this late 1980's 10" F6 Astro Optical Supplies built Dobsonian on behalf of

Gwen Buckle
02 9648 2490
geebuc@tpg.com.au

For those not aware - these telescopes came from a workshop at Clark St , Crows Nest and were manufactured from the early 1960's to early 1990's - a great piece of Australian history.

Gwen is on the Northside of Sydney and this would be pick up only I'd imagine but you need to discuss that.

I'm not sure if that breaks TOS to list but I thought I would help her sell it as she rang me as she was going to put it on Ebay but thought I might be able to help find a more appreciative home. She and her then partner bought it from me in 1991.

Its the same tube assembly as was on the Equatorial Samson mounted version. It looks to be in very good condition. The visual models had a 54mm diagonal mirror, so the obstruction is quite low. There would not be too many F6 Dobs around these days. That F# works very well with most eyepieces. I can remember one night at Ilford one of these 10" dobs was showing a lot more on Jupiter than a 180mmm f7.5 Starfire refractor ( it may have even been this one ?)

There are some eyepieces and Barlow pictured.

The mounts worked pretty well - I designed them and I believe that they were among the first commercial Dobsonian mounts in the world aside from Coulter. The mirror was made by myself. The primary would be 1 5/8" thick Pyrex on an aluminium cast cell. Any of these I have tested much more recently have been very good optically .

The primary mirror apparently needs a recoat after all this time. The tube assembly is not as light as Asian scopes - would not suit a slightly built man or woman, as it has to be lifted onto the mount.

I suggested $700 as a fair price given the quality of the tube assembly and the high quality optics balanced against the primary needing a recoat. This scope would suit a collector as I think it has some historical value. I know there are some people out there who like to collect AOS stuff. I would buy it myself if I didn't have unused scopes everywhere.

PM me if you have any burning questions which Gwen wouldn't be able to answer .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (10inchF6.jpg)
104.3 KB431 views
Click for full-size image (eps.jpg)
71.0 KB222 views

Last edited by Satchmo; 25-01-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 25-01-2012, 04:53 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I've been in contact with Gwen and I'm happy for Mark to list this on behalf of Gwen.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:42 PM
astrotours (Greg)

Iv'e got one of these and they are optically awesome! Mine regularly outperforms some of the bigger scopes in my considerable fleet of scopes. It's the first scope I bought for myself sometime around 1990. It is responsible for starting my business, Astro Tours, that has been doing star shows 4 to 6 nights a week in Broome, Western Australia since 1995. I did think it was 5.6 to 1, focal length 1400mm? If you built mine Mark, thank you very much! Nice work!

Greg Quicke
www.astrotours.net

Greg Quicke's Astro Tours is on Facebook
Old 04-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrotours View Post
I did think it was 5.6 to 1, focal length 1400mm? If you built mine Mark, thank you very much! Nice work!
Thanks Greg, I'm glad to hear you get great views through your 'scope. I think the from memory we made the 8" F7 and the 10" F6 Nominal FL and actually used 58" tooling .

I think this scope is still for sale and the owner wants it to go to a good home and is open to offers.

This scope will have seriously good optics and be a 'planet killer' .
Old 16-06-2012, 08:37 AM
greg46 (Greg)

Mark
I brought these optics for a homemade dob in the late 1980s. The optics are a credit to you. Saturn was so detailed in a good ortho that it outdid top refractors and larger newts. Omega Centauri was like looking into a sugar bowl. Unfortunately the coating has gone on mine and I am a bit over the hill to resuscitate it.
Best
Greg46
Old 16-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Julian

re scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I'm listing this late 1980's 10" F6 Astro Optical Supplies built Dobsonian on behalf of

Gwen Buckle
02 9648 2490
geebuc@tpg.com.au

For those not aware - these telescopes came from a workshop at Clark St , Crows Nest and were manufactured from the early 1960's to early 1990's - a great piece of Australian history.

Gwen is on the Northside of Sydney and this would be pick up only I'd imagine but you need to discuss that.

I'm not sure if that breaks TOS to list but I thought I would help her sell it as she rang me as she was going to put it on Ebay but thought I might be able to help find a more appreciative home. She and her then partner bought it from me in 1991.

Its the same tube assembly as was on the Equatorial Samson mounted version. It looks to be in very good condition. The visual models had a 54mm diagonal mirror, so the obstruction is quite low. There would not be too many F6 Dobs around these days. That F# works very well with most eyepieces. I can remember one night at Ilford one of these 10" dobs was showing a lot more on Jupiter than a 180mmm f7.5 Starfire refractor ( it may have even been this one ?)

There are some eyepieces and Barlow pictured.

The mounts worked pretty well - I designed them and I believe that they were among the first commercial Dobsonian mounts in the world aside from Coulter. The mirror was made by myself. The primary would be 1 5/8" thick Pyrex on an aluminium cast cell. Any of these I have tested much more recently have been very good optically .

The primary mirror apparently needs a recoat after all this time. The tube assembly is not as light as Asian scopes - would not suit a slightly built man or woman, as it has to be lifted onto the mount.

I suggested $700 as a fair price given the quality of the tube assembly and the high quality optics balanced against the primary needing a recoat. This scope would suit a collector as I think it has some historical value. I know there are some people out there who like to collect AOS stuff. I would buy it myself if I didn't have unused scopes everywhere.

PM me if you have any burning questions which Gwen wouldn't be able to answer .
i think people overprice things,the most i would pay considering that condition of the mirror, which would need recoating after 20 years, might need a new mirror altogether, that's going to cost me a couple of grand, and a quartz secondary to fit.would have to make it worth it!, can buy a new 12inch GSO for $800
otherwise it's just an optical tube.
offering $250.00

Last edited by Julian; 16-06-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 16-06-2012, 03:12 PM
torana68 (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
can buy a new 12inch GSO for $800
otherwise it's just an optical tube.
offering $250.00
hmmm , thing is its not a GSO and not a mass produced mirror. A GSO has no Australian history either
Old 16-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Chris.B (Christopher)

I also own one of these. Mirror is still fine. These are full thickness mirror glass and the optical quality is of a high quality. There are several in the ASV and all those in the know will tell you how good they all are.