Old 11-07-2019, 11:16 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Tele Vue Ranager

70mm Tele Vue Ranger OTA (not with the shown diagonal, eyepiece or AZ4 Mount) with a focal length of 480mm.

I purchased this scope second-hand about 2 years ago. It has been a delight to use. From memory, these went for about $1400 in the 1990s. I always wanted one, but was put of by the helical focuser. In reality, I have found the focuser to be wonderful.

As seen in the photos, the tube is brass (or bronze, I do not know the difference). It has a number of 'character' marks on it, which I have unsuccessfully tried to polish out.

The 70mm lens also has strange marks around the edges. From what I have read on Cloudy Nights, the lens was cemented and some of this has oozed out over time. Furthermore, the lens shows false colour more akin to an achromat, rather than an ED. Nevertheless, it must have been otherwise well made, as I was otherwise always pleased with its performance.

I have fitted and am supplying the scope with a Losmandy, Vixen Universal Plate (4 inch). The scope itself has no 'up or down' with the helical focuser, so can be easily mounted on any mount by simply turning the star diagonal to the new, appropriate position.

The Ranger has been a handy scope to have. I have too many scopes and by selling this, I hope to force myself to use one of my quality 80mm scopes rather than taking the lazy option of using this as my default scope for quick viewings.

$280, posted in Eastern States. SA- $290 WA-$300
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Telescopes for sale 002.jpg)
124.6 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (Telescopes for sale 005.jpg)
84.3 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (Telescopes for sale 006.jpg)
103.9 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (Telescopes for sale 008.jpg)
142.2 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (Telescopes for sale 011.jpg)
183.7 KB54 views

Last edited by Tropo-Bob; 11-07-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:51 AM
ozigeoff (Geoff)

Tele Vue Ranger

PM sent to purchase.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Pending, to Geoff.