Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Who Does the Cooking ?

Just finished tea and was wondering how many guys do the cooking. In my Mum and Dads day, that was the wifes job. Has it changed much over the years ?

Bill
Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

My wife Suz is a nurse and does nightshifts Sat/Sun, so I tend to do the lunches for kids and meals at night on those 2 days.

Takes the family the rest of the week to recover from the experience!

Doug
Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM
gbeal

In these days of equality it is a shared responsibility.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi All,

In early days we used to have our own business. We were lucky enough to own the factory that we ran it from (and still do - though we've sold the business !). When kids came along, we fitted out one of the rooms with beds, fridge, TV etc, and rigges up a sandpit and slide etc outdoors.

They were long days back then, and we had this arrangement that worked well. When we all went home at the end of the day - or well into the evening actually ), I made the meal while my wife bathed the kids.

All has changed nowadays, but I still do the cooking, and not too bad a job of it though I day so myself.

Cheers,
Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

We share but not evenly...Weekends I tend to do more and during the week my wife takes the lead.

We both enjoy cooking and based on my girth, I believe that we are both pretty good at it!

The drama comes about concerning who does the dishes!!!!
A task also shared but with me drawing the short end of the stick...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Nevyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
In these days of equality it is a shared responsibility.
Equality!!!! Come and eat a meal I've cooked up , and if you're still feeling alright try my wifes cooking . Then do your very best to tell me they were equal
Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 PM
leon

About half each in this family, it all depends who has worked the hardest for that day.

Leon
Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

I do all the cooking for my family, that way I get what I want and don't have to wash up
Old 10-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Joy does a lot of the cooking if/when she's over at my place - which is most of the time when I'm not working. She does a wonderful job of taking care of me that way.

However when it comes to barbecue or any cooking on an open flame / firepit I do it, likewise when we're having home made pizzas I make them, and if we decide to have one of my noodle surprise feasts I do it.

With regards washing the dishes - I have occasional turns, but Joy usually draws the short straw there.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:25 AM
johnno

I do Most of the Cooking,here,

Anything, from Basic Pancakes,Roast Dinners,Birthday cakes,etc,to Fillet Mignon in a Mushroom Butter Sauce.ETC,ETC

Thats NOT,to Say Kathy cant cook,She Can.

I, just enjoy doing it,And She Enjoys Letting Me.(Er,Cooking That is)

Kathy, our 2 girls,and 5 Grandkids, seem to enjoy the results too.

NO,I'm NOT a Chef.

Just Someone,who likes to Cook Tasty Food.

I watched "Fast Ed",on Better Homes ,and Gardens,last friday night,he used a little,Balsamic Vinegar,and Brown Sugar,on his fried Onions.

Yes,Its very Nice.

Regards.
John
Old 10-03-2008, 06:51 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

I do all of the cooking through the week as my wife gets home about 7:30 at night I cook my tea and make a lunch for my wife next day as she has the middle of the day off and at the weekend who ever in the kitchen at the time
Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Nina cooks, I clean. Nina worked out early in our relationship that cooking great food was one way to keep a smile on my face! For my part, I am more concerned about order than she is, so it is best that I keep the place tidy!

I agree with the comments of others that in our age and time there can be no excuse for a bloke sitting on the couch and expecting his partner to do everything. A lot depends of course on what other duties each spouse has, such as paid employment, and responsibility for the kids.

My wife is currently completing a PhD full time, managing her g-mother's dementia, and takes most of the responsibility Mon-Fri for the kids. I have a very stressful job as director of a large company, but during the week I still do most of the cleaning, and on weekends I tend to spend a lot of time with the children to give Nina a break, and a chance to focus on her studies.

Nina has recently discovered Morrocan cooking.....absolutely wonderful.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Well, it seems things have changed for the better since mum and Dads day.
I do most of the cooking because I enjoy putting together something tasty for the family meals. Kym does the dishes, she says its not my job
Vary the menu as much as possible, anything from Steak and Kidney Pie to Chinese and Indian dishes.
Soups and Pasta bakes are Kym's forte, does them much better than me.

Bon Appetit

Bill
Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Sometimes me, sometimes the folk at the golden arches.

In my first marriage I was a bit of a cook doing the stuff you see guys do on tv these days but back then no guys I knew cooked ..ever
alex
Old 10-03-2008, 10:11 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

Generally shared, although my wife probably does dinner maybe 5 times per week. Often she does not know what time she will be home and so if I was to cook the tea assuming she would be home at 6:00 and didn't get home until 7 or later, the dinner would not be as yummy as I would have expected. Usually though she cooks and I put all the dishes into the washer, wipe down the benches etc. Turn on and empty the washer too. Her daughter, of course, does her bit.....eat it, unless she is complaining about it
Old 10-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Dujon
SKE

My wife has every reason to deny me access to the kitchen other than to feed the cats.

*aside* That about covers it love? <strange=echoing response> That's about it, Stud.</strange>

That does just about cover it.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dujon View Post
My wife has every reason to deny me access to the kitchen other than to feed the cats.

*aside* That about covers it love? <strange=echoing response> That's about it, Stud.</strange>

That does just about cover it.
Sounds like animal cruelty to me John

This remined me of my sad situation... I cook for my dogs..I make up a batch of spaggetti, rice, dog biscuits, old cheese, eggs, and anything that I feel is past use by date and various stuff laying around and wait on them like guests... I get a such kick out of them sitting in the kitchem waiting with their little ears upright and drool extending to the floor....and unlike so many humans they always love the result.. and they feast whislt I open the baked beans

alex
Old 10-03-2008, 02:54 PM
JimmyH155

I love cooking, but having made a masterpiece, I usually lose interest. Last Saturday it was Beef Stroganov YUM YUM. Yes, Johno, I saw that way to cook onions - sounds really good!!!! The wife does the really technical stuff like omlettes and fish fingers, but come Saturday nights, its Cordon Bleu, here, and out comes the Asian cook book ( or one of about 20 that we now posess.) However SWMBO does make a mean Lasagne and is excellent on cakes. She cooks weekdays, and me weekends.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Ah yes ! The asian cookbook. Bought a big one about 15 years ago, best buy ever. If I run out of inspiration, out comes the book of Thai, Indonesian, Chinese, Indian, Philipino etc. Always something new to try in there.
I lived alone for 14 years Alex, and thats when I started cooking the yummy stuff. If I had to eat alone, made sure it was an enjoyable experience (well most of the time, every experiment did not go as planned).
Kym loves my dishes, as do the 3 cats and the dog. Have to chase the furry kids out of the kitchen most nights.

Bill
Old 10-03-2008, 03:42 PM
JimmyH155

Yes, that Asian cook book is called "Asian Cooking" by Charmaine Solomon. I strongly recommend it. Throw away the others. My book is just about in pieces now, and I think she has brought an updated one so that will have to be purchased. Yes, every Asian country gets a great choice.
Some of her comments in the book are classics - like the one on a Kashmiri recipe She explains that in that region they do not use onions or garlic........ " ...because it inflames the baser passions."