Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 01-09-2020, 02:11 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Anyway, I've ordered the faster controller - I'm not adverse to having a spare controller as it's a long way to my usual dark sky site if something fails...
You may run into another problem: your steppers may stall due to too fast stepping.
I have 1:5 reduction before worm (belt) and I can't go faster than ~75% of STM32 capability on one mount.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:25 PM
sfarndell (Scott)

Here is the ‘finished’ board. Motors are working (tested via the white molex connection, not the RJ45 points) and so is the hand controller. I just need to print a case for the STM32 controller and add RJ45 connection terminals to the motors. It’ll be a few weeks before my scope is ready to mount these and can work out the final step counts, etc. I’ll post the complete setup then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (91CF5F20-3BC5-4425-89D6-8CE078B5865B.jpeg)
95.0 KB88 views
Old 01-09-2020, 10:02 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
You may run into another problem: your steppers may stall due to too fast stepping.
I have 1:5 reduction before worm (belt) and I can't go faster than ~75% of STM32 capability on one mount.
I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re correct. I’m very much a beginner at electronics, but enjoy the tinkering.

DT
Old 10-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Ash_Chook (Ash)

Lv8729

Hi Scott,
Looks like your getting it all together nice.
I'm not sure if you got my message on the onstep forum, but I'm looking for three LV8729's if you have any to sell?

Regards,

ash
Old 11-09-2020, 07:11 AM
sfarndell (Scott)

Hi Ash

Sorry mate, but I’ve only got just enough drivers left for the last kit.

Thx
Scott
Old 11-09-2020, 02:52 PM
sfarndell (Scott)

I’ve received additional feedback on the onstep forum (thanks Ash) regarding the STM32 flash mod and a 10k ohm resister is recommended rather than shorting the R3 resistor. I’ve not had trouble so far, but I’ll likely make the change this weekend.
Old 30-10-2020, 03:53 PM
sfarndell (Scott)

Replacement to the STM32 blue pill

For those who are interested in the STM32 Onstep controller, or were considering it but were concerned about its speed, there is a new microcontroller to replace the STM32 bluepill, called a the Robotdyn STM32F303 and it's apparently 2x faster. It's also plug n play if you want to upgrade your existing build.

Khalid Baheyeldin just released this youtube clip explaining it in more detail and it's now on the Onstep group wiki. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQCT6ukKtL0&t=447s

Cost of the new driver on aliexpress is about $15 delivered compared to about $6 for the blue pill and there are no issues with having to short pins or solder on additional resistors. Link is below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301...501e4c4de6Yuk2
Old 30-10-2020, 06:08 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Thanks for the info Scott,

I've literally just finished soldering up the MiniPCB V2 kit that finally arrived from the USA after about 6 weeks - bless USPS and covid.

About to start working out how to flash the controller and test it with some motors on the bench tonight.

DT
Old 19-04-2021, 08:51 PM
Astronovice (Calvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Great to hear you're having success with this.

I have had difficult flashing the STM32 previously. Can't remember if it was a problem with the jumper/switch to change from Run to Flash mode or something else. I've only had to do it a couple of times when adjusting settings and those events have been weeks or months apart.

I was very happy with the operation of the controller. I used it to make an EQ3 mount into a goto mount as a trial run. I've got a big old mount that I want to convert to OnStep. I'll probably use one of the more advanced/powerful controllers for that mount - it will need bigger stepper motors and drivers.

I'm really enjoying the open source software and hardware options available for astronomy - I'm currently using:

- Onstep
- MyFocuserPro2
- Arduino based dew controllers
- NINA

I better start accumulating bits and pieces to make the next onstep controller - need a project for the summer astronomy hiatus.

DT
Hi David

Resurrecting as well as hijacking this thread somewhat; I notice you list MyFocuserPro2 and NINA in your above post. I am currently changing over from APT to NINA as well as building the Arduino based focuser to while away the time whilst FNQ remains clouded in. NINA isn’t listed in the compatible software list for the focuser, can you confirm that they play nicely together?