Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 27-10-2007, 05:52 PM
dcalleja

Post Focus Prob with F3.3 FR, DSI & Filter Wheel

Hi all
I'm having a problem getting my F3.3 FR to come to focus using an Atik filter wheel with my DSI.

I can get it to focus with the following image train

Scope - LX200 Focuser - FR - FR T Adapter - Atik Filter Wheel - DSI (Minuse nosepiece & IR Filter)

The problem is though that the T adapter supplied with the Meade FR interferes with the filters in the wheel ie: unless you leave it unscrewed slightly, you can't rotate the wheel

Anyone else ahve a similar setup or some ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ImageTrain.JPG)
126.7 KB35 views
Old 27-10-2007, 06:07 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Here's an option that I found worked. I had a similar problem with the 6.3 and the long T adapter and the ATIK16IC trying to get the filter wheel to rotate.

If you take off the large ring from the camera side of the filterwheel and screw it onto the T adapter on the FR side of the wheel you should find that the adapter doesn't interfer with the filter rotation anymore as the ring acts as a spacer.

When you screw the camera on, to achieve correct orientation you will need to adjust it by rotating the CS Adapter in the focuser, rather than using the large ring that is now on the other side.
Old 27-10-2007, 06:15 PM
dcalleja

Paul
Thanks - I'll give this a go tomorrow and post the results back
Old 28-10-2007, 03:17 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Dan,

Did you get the replacement DSI II nosepiece from Scopestuff? I am looking at replacing the filter slider with a wheel like you have.

Peter
Old 28-10-2007, 07:33 PM
dcalleja

Peter
Yes I did - It comes as an option. The only thing I'd say is that the Meade one has a ridge on the end to prevent it from slipping out and the scopestuff one does not. You have to make sure its pretty firm. Overall I think the whole assembly was well worth the money (way better than having the old filter slide) and scopestuff were really great. Delivery was on time, nothing missing and well packed.
Old 28-10-2007, 07:34 PM
dcalleja

Paul
I havn't had a chance to play today so I'll have a go through the week sometime - I'll post back later
Old 29-10-2007, 06:53 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback on Scopestuff. I was wondering if they were reliable. I can't work out their international post requirements. It looks like you need to place the order then they email you with the cost then you place another order for freight?? Is this what you did?

I also notice you have the Atik wheel. Did you look at any other options? I believe the Orion wheel is identical to the Atik and is available locally?

Peter
Old 29-10-2007, 08:26 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I'm not sure if Scopestuff is still functioning as a shop. I had difficulties getting confirmation of orders and replies to emails. I hope they are still active 'cos they generally have pretty good prices.
Old 30-10-2007, 07:27 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I hope it's still functioning - I spoke to Jim this morning and ordered a DSI adaptor plate. Filter wheel here I come....
Old 30-10-2007, 08:09 PM
dcalleja

Guys
I took my delivery about 2 months ago - they were very good so I hope they are still out there
Old 31-10-2007, 08:11 PM
dcalleja

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
Here's an option that I found worked. I had a similar problem with the 6.3 and the long T adapter and the ATIK16IC trying to get the filter wheel to rotate.

If you take off the large ring from the camera side of the filterwheel and screw it onto the T adapter on the FR side of the wheel you should find that the adapter doesn't interfer with the filter rotation anymore as the ring acts as a spacer.

When you screw the camera on, to achieve correct orientation you will need to adjust it by rotating the CS Adapter in the focuser, rather than using the large ring that is now on the other side.
Paul
I tried this and at 1st it looked ok but once you tighten it up it siezes up on the plate itself rather than on the filters (as the whole thing is now back to front). I think the issue is the length of the T Adapter thread that comes with the Meade f3.3 FR. I'll have to play a bit more.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 PM
dcalleja

Just thought I'd close this thread out. The real issue is the height of the Meade RGB filters. I have an Astonomik Ha filter in the wheel as well and is is much lower profile (< half the Meade) and poses no problem in the new configuration. I just need to go out and buy some new filters (or get my hacksaw to work).
Old 03-11-2007, 01:30 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Quote:
get my hacksaw to work
That's what I like to see......No Fear!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:55 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Hi Dan,

My filter wheel arrived today - similar but different brand to yours but same problem with the Meade RGB filters. Did you resolve this issue by replacing the filters?

Peter
Old 09-11-2007, 07:20 PM
dcalleja

Peter
I am looking at buying a full set of the Astronomik filters from Bintel ($399). These are very low profile compared to the Meade and the RGB ones have built in IR. I'll test this tomorrow using the Ha Astronomik filter I have and removing the Meade ones. I'll post the results back here then

What brand is it?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:33 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I've tried one of my Baader filters and it fits. I know someone with the same wheel as mine who has Astronimik filters that fit. Did you manage to get the Meade ones to work in the Atik wheel?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 PM
dcalleja

Peter
No the Meade just won't fit. If I remove them and use only the low profile Astronomik Ha I have it works just fine. The Astronomik cell is easily half the height of the Meade so clearance is not a problem. That means that I will have to use the Astronomik L (IR) filter in position 1 and rely on the IR filtering properties of the RGB ones. The filters are out of stock at Bintel right now.

I think the Astronomik are better quality (at $399) than the Meade anyway. Does anyone know how much the Baader set goes for?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 PM
dcalleja

One other question - does it matter which way the light passes through these filters? ie: is there a right way and a wrong way as I've had to invert the way I user the Atik wheel.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:08 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

You can get the Baader for $180 here in Aus. I have a set for my ATiK filter wheel for use with my DMK for planetary work. I'm not very impressed with them as I find them difficult to get the colour balance right so I'll be swapping over for Astronomics eventually. Mind you I haven't had much of a chance to use them lately (read since the start of the last Jupiter apparition ) so maybe I will be able to get the balance right with Mars and be ready next time round for Saturn and Jupiter.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:03 PM
dcalleja

Thanks Paul - I'll hang out for the Astronomik then.