Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes

Old 09-01-2024, 10:48 PM
Celts88 (John)
John

More, Beginner Nightscape Photos

Another few nightscape photos on our trip away in the caravan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Milky Way - Peppy Beach 08-01-2024 (1a).jpg)
169.3 KB69 views
Click for full-size image (Milky Way - Peppy Beach 08-01-2024 (1b).jpg)
160.9 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (Milky Way - Peppy Beach 08-01-2024 (2).jpg)
190.0 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (Milky Way - Peppy Beach 08-01-2024 (3).jpg)
194.0 KB61 views
Old 10-01-2024, 05:00 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

More stunning shots!
I love the old tree, I try to get them in some of my moon images when I can. I think they add something to the image besides firewood.
Old 14-01-2024, 09:58 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Hi John,

Lovely shots.

In terms of the composition, it's easier to compose terrestrial elements if you can wait until the parts of the sky you want to capture are closer to the horizon, then you can better compose the horizons and windmills from further back. It's always very hard to compose with a camera looking up.

cheers

Joe
Old 14-01-2024, 11:02 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

another take on these appealing photos

I agree with Leo, the dead tree evokes an image of the growing and mature tree which provided shade and habitat for many birds and animals.
The windmill shots interest me as I have lived with an 8 ft Metters mill and a ten foot Southern Cross mill.
Just a quibble, no mill rotates at the speed implied by the blurred wheel picture. Would it be possible to take a short exposure of the mill.
BTW My punt is that the mill pictured is a 6 ft Southern Cross miil.

At Prairie in west QLD is a 35 ft Comet mill in use, by far the largest wind mill I have seen.
Sorry for the diversion
Chris

Last edited by muletopia; 14-01-2024 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spellig & more comment
Old 15-01-2024, 12:42 AM
Celts88 (John)
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
More stunning shots!
I love the old tree, I try to get them in some of my moon images when I can. I think they add something to the image besides firewood.
Leo

The moon was in a totally different direction at the time I took the shots hence not in them.

Cheers, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Hi John,

Lovely shots.

In terms of the composition, it's easier to compose terrestrial elements if you can wait until the parts of the sky you want to capture are closer to the horizon, then you can better compose the horizons and windmills from further back. It's always very hard to compose with a camera looking up.

cheers

Joe
Joe

Thanks for that, makes sense now you point it out that composition with the sky in more of a horizontal position would be a better shot, I'll bear that in mind in the future (I've not been doing this very long so all tips are very much appreciated).

Cheers, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by muletopia View Post
I agree with Leo, the dead tree evokes an image of the growing and mature tree which provided shade and habitat for many birds and animals.
The windmill shots interest me as I have lived with an 8 ft Metters mill and a ten foot Southern Cross mill.
Just a quibble, no mill rotates at the speed implied by the blurred wheel picture. Would it be possible to take a short exposure of the mill.
BTW My punt is that the mill pictured is a 6 ft Southern Cross miil.

At Prairie in west QLD is a 35 ft Comet mill in use, by far the largest wind mill I have seen.
Sorry for the diversion
Chris
Chris

The photos were taken when away in our caravan therefore I won't have a chance to take any more shots of the windmill. The shots were 20 - 25 seconds each hence the mill shot rotating more than it actually was.

Regarding the old tree it was directly across from the entrance to the caravan park and I noticed it when driving out on our 2nd day and thought it would make a nice shot at night with the sky in the background. I never thought the light / colours would come out so good at 11.30pm at night.

Cheers, John
Old 20-01-2024, 01:15 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Yeah, real nice going again John,

Its a learning curve and your exposures are right on point,, amazing what can be captured in low light particularly open night sky,,,!

I guess the lens is/was approx 50mm,, i mention as every different FL lens has its own attitude in relation to Composition,, 20-30mm are very forgiving, more view type thing, but I have seen some amazing 50-100mm lens work on sky astro targets with a distant mountain top, tree line or large Rock forms etc for a foreground,,, that said, they were multi exposures stacked for astro target clarity,, one would be surprised the difference only 6-8 images stacked can produced with a wide field night scape..