Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Gavin1234

Lagoon/Triffid attempt 2 of ??

I’ve gathered a heap of data on this subject now. 26 hours and 23 minutes to be exact. Obviously my processing skills are really holding things back.

I have this weird artifact showing up in the bottom left corner. Any suggestions as to what it might be and a process in either PixInsight or PS to get rid of it? I tried auto background subtraction.

Not sure what else I was expecting to see but I thought 26 hours would be much better than this. Not that I’m unhappy with it in total, for me, compared to my other images it’s pretty good. it’s just that I think my earlier attempt with much less data was just about as good. Is that amount of time overkill for this subject?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (B039EABE-EEA1-44C3-A691-957C20975120.jpg)
221.3 KB62 views
Old 15-08-2018, 07:55 PM
RyanJones

Really nice pic Gavin.

Here I am wondering if I can even fit Lagoon in my feild of view and you're getting that and Trifid with beautiful detail in one shot. Ah the beauty of shorter focal lengths well done !
Old 15-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Gavin1234

Thanks Ryan
Old 15-08-2018, 09:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

That is impressive Gavin.
You must be and should be proud to achieve such a great result.
Alex
Old 15-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Gavin1234

Thanks Alex
Old 18-08-2018, 10:25 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Nice Gavin. Well framed.
I did this last week and realised later that I cut off part of the Lagoon ... dooh.
Old 19-08-2018, 04:16 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Hi Gavin. It's a very good image in many ways. In these situations I start with calibration frames and weed out any bad flats. Bias and darks can be retaken if you have cooling. And weed out poor quality light frames.

As you are now into PI. Spend a little time creating good quality master frames. There is a tendency to overlook the quality of master frames but it is one area where we have most control - except maybe flats - and they have quite an impact on image quality.

It is important to reduce noise in master frames as much as practicable. You want to get rid of as much random noise as possible.

The PI superbias is a good choice and median combine the flats as well. Your bias and darks are usually mean combined but median combine them if you only have a few.

This sets you up for the best chance of a smooth stacked image - oops! it's PI - integrated image... smack smack...

Don't waste your time trying to fix artefacts when removing the offending sub is probably all that's required.

I hope that's helpful...