Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 PM
allan gould

Qhy9c

Does anyone have a QHY9 COLOUR camera and how does it compare with the qhy8 & 10 cameras?
Any thoughts would be appreciated and I am aware that the 8/10 combo has a Sony chip while the 9 sports a Kodak chip and the inherent noise of the two.
Any thoughts on ease of installation and use with capture programs ie Nebulosity much appreciated.
Thanks
Allan
Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Astrodan (Dan)

Hello Allan,

I cannot answer your software question, but, I might be able to help you with your QHY8 vs QHY9C questions. These two differ vastly, and, what and how you intend to use the camera will make a difference in your needs.

In a nutshell, QHY8 is a lower resolution(1.5mp), larger ccd with an interline transfer mechanism. This means is has a wider dynamic range, and, does not require a mechanical shutter. The camera body is a non sealed design, meant for daily storage in a desiccant box. The camera does not employ temperature control in its normal configuration. Software control of cooling temperature is not an option. Its very useful for more general astrophotography where objects imaged might vary greatly. In the DSLR camera world, the ccd was most popular in the Nikon D50 series camera.

QHY9C is a smaller ccd, higher resolution ccd(2mp), with a full frame transfer mechanism. The dynamic range is less, the ccd area is smaller, and being full frame, it does have a mechanical shutter. There is a substantial increase in resolution over the QHY8. The QHY9C has a sealed chamber for the ccd, rubber seals on the camera body, and may use exterior desiccant tubes. It uses a software controllable cooling and is capable of deep cooling. It is more adapted to longer deep sky astrophotography where exposure times are usually long. In the DSLR world, the ccd was most popular in the Olympus E-500 camera.

Hope that helps,

Dan
Old 12-10-2011, 08:14 PM
allan gould

Dan
Thanks for all that and after talking to Theo here (the local retailer) iM convinced that I need a QHY10 camera to replace my QHY8 that I alsready miss. So thanks for the advice and for others who PMed me.
Allan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodan View Post
Hello Allan,

I cannot answer your software question, but, I might be able to help you with your QHY8 vs QHY9C questions. These two differ vastly, and, what and how you intend to use the camera will make a difference in your needs.

In a nutshell, QHY8 is a lower resolution(1.5mp), larger ccd with an interline transfer mechanism. This means is has a wider dynamic range, and, does not require a mechanical shutter. The camera body is a non sealed design, meant for daily storage in a desiccant box. The camera does not employ temperature control in its normal configuration. Software control of cooling temperature is not an option. Its very useful for more general astrophotography where objects imaged might vary greatly. In the DSLR camera world, the ccd was most popular in the Nikon D50 series camera.

QHY9C is a smaller ccd, higher resolution ccd(2mp), with a full frame transfer mechanism. The dynamic range is less, the ccd area is smaller, and being full frame, it does have a mechanical shutter. There is a substantial increase in resolution over the QHY8. The QHY9C has a sealed chamber for the ccd, rubber seals on the camera body, and may use exterior desiccant tubes. It uses a software controllable cooling and is capable of deep cooling. It is more adapted to longer deep sky astrophotography where exposure times are usually long. In the DSLR world, the ccd was most popular in the Olympus E-500 camera.

Hope that helps,

Dan
Old 13-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Astrodan (Dan)

Hello Allan,

You guys down under are most lucky to have such a good dealer.

The QHY10 ccd, I believe is based on the Pentax K-10 DSLR.

What happened that you miss your QHY8?

Best wishes,
Dan