Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-07-2020, 09:10 PM
PeterM

Solar Prom July 31st

Tried a bit Waveletting with Registax on this one. Small steps Ellie... small steps.... (Contact 1997). Any advice muchly appreciated. Really getting addicted to Sun. Soon surface and colour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (July31st Final.jpg)
11.5 KB38 views
Old 01-08-2020, 12:39 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

A fine image of the prom and the processing looks ok.
For mine, in Registax I normally use about 25 / 30% sharpening with the sliders. Seems to do a reasonable job sharpening the image and any more just adds more noise and artifacts.
Hope to get time tomorrow to have a look at Sol, has been several days without a chance to get the scope out, not withstanding the weather.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:06 AM
PeterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
A fine image of the prom and the processing looks ok.
For mine, in Registax I normally use about 25 / 30% sharpening with the sliders. Seems to do a reasonable job sharpening the image and any more just adds more noise and artifacts.
Hope to get time tomorrow to have a look at Sol, has been several days without a chance to get the scope out, not withstanding the weather.
Thanks for this Jeff, this is very helpful as I haven'y had any real experience using Registax.
So is the 25-30% limit what you use generally across all sliders? I read slider 1 is typically for finer detail moving down to 6 for coarse detail. Also for the sliders does it matter what order you do them in, should it be 1-6? I took 500 images and set the cut off for best at 30% for the proms. I assume that would be based on seeing conditions? Should I also do a calibration image?
Sorry for all the questions.
Good luck for today.
Thanks again.
Peter
Old 01-08-2020, 09:15 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Peter,
My 2c.
Just to add to Jeff's comments.
In Registax I work from #6 downwards (Think of #6 as trying to correct the seeing. Each step down affects smaller and smaller image detail.)
As an alternative look at ImPPG. IMHO it gives better results (for me) than Registax.
When stacking in AS3! try different quality stacking %ages, be guided by the green quality line. I find down here on the coast between 20% and 40% (ie best 20% to 40%) works OK.
I don't use a calibration image.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:55 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks for the imput as well Ken. I'm still learning about processing, as we all are I guess, there's always more little tricks to unearth.
With the sharpening sliders in Registax, what I generally use is #1 20% #2 25%, #3 25%, #4 25%, #5 20% #6 15%. Sometimes play around with those percentages, especially #1-#4. #5 & #6 don't seem to have as much an effect in the overall appearance by being more aggressive with them.
Haven't used Autosackert very much and haven't yet been able to get much, if any, improvement in results compared to Registax .
Hope to get a chance to observe Sol today, been very busy the past few days, always seem to have to be somewhere else than where I should be or would like to be.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:03 AM
PeterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Peter,
My 2c.
Just to add to Jeff's comments.
In Registax I work from #6 downwards (Think of #6 as trying to correct the seeing. Each step down affects smaller and smaller image detail.)
As an alternative look at ImPPG. IMHO it gives better results (for me) than Registax.
When stacking in AS3! try different quality stacking %ages, be guided by the green quality line. I find down here on the coast between 20% and 40% (ie best 20% to 40%) works OK.
I don't use a calibration image.
Thanks Ken, this is also very helpful. This is also very handy to know that I maybe able to try to correct the seeing. I have jut downloaded ImPPG and will have a look at the tutorial later today.

I have still been using the Coronado BF10 in the Lunt 60mm. I sent the Lunt B600 back for evaluation as it wasn't showing any detail. Turns out it was faulty but out of warranty. Lunt have been very generous and upgraded the internals of my B600 to a B1200 (USD$280) and it is on its way back. Once I get it I will try imaging with both the Solarmax 40 and Lunt 60mm.

Yours and Jeffs bits of information are really useful.

Peter
Old 01-08-2020, 11:03 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Jeff/ Peter,
AS3! is really just for sorting (quality) and stacking the "best" frames.
Applying wavelets (Registax) sharpens the images but needs a degree of self control ("over cooking")

ImPPG only has three variables to contend with:
Unsharp masking
L-R deconvolution
and the Tone Curve
Old 01-08-2020, 01:43 PM
Foxinsox (Graeme Fox)

Try IMPPG over Registax

Rather than wavelet sharpening with Registax maybe try deconvolution with IMPPG .