Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-06-2020, 10:12 AM
Gregted (Greg Tedford)

Aluminising in Queensland???

Hey all,
I made some 8 inch dobs years ago and have recently had a go at astro-photography.
To that end and after reading a post elsewhere about Mel Bartel slumping and making his 25 inch x 1/2 inch F3, I have decided to make another telescope.
Mine wont be that large but I may start with a 300mm F3.
I've already cut some circles from 12 mm glass and I have already got a kiln for casting so I will be making another for glass slumping.
I've still got my grits from years ago so all I should need is someone to aluminise the mirror when it is done.
Sooo, does anyone have a contact in or around Gladstone, Qld who does aluminising.
Also anyone in the Tannum Sands, Gladstone area who is into ATM who wants to chat/share info.
Greg.
Old 25-06-2020, 11:19 AM
billdan (Bill)

I don't believe anyone in QLD does it now.

The only place I know of is Saintech in Forster NSW.
https://saintech.com/

Alternatively you could get the spray on silver kits from Angel Gilding. One small bottle of Silver concentrate can do about 20 mirrors. However Silver deteriorates quicker than aluminium and you may have to strip and respray every 2 years. Depending on how close you are to the ocean (salt in the air).

https://angelgilding.com/silver-on-g...ay-silver.html

Here is a set of videos showing the technique used by Peter Pekurar silvering the Vatican Mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIg8...NoE31tmPGUebYg

Last edited by billdan; 25-06-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 25-06-2020, 05:30 PM
Gregted (Greg Tedford)

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I have seen the Angelgilding site and have sent an inquiry on their shipping to Qld.
For an amateur, some of those aluminising quotes are out there.
One site was $568 for a 12 incher. Yikes!!!
All good for a top quality pyrex I suppose, but my 12 mm plate glass circle that I got for free wouldn't do that price justice..
Mel Bartels made his 25 inch/F2.6 from 1/2 inch plate glass so that will be my next project. (After nailing the 300mm/F3).
I know Mel has been into this for years and I'm not saying I'm anywhere near his standard but the glass cost me nothing, so what's the worst that can happen.
I will learn a lot and it won't cost me much

All the materials will cost less than $100.
Greg

Last edited by Gregted; 25-06-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 25-06-2020, 06:27 PM
spiezzy

Hi Greg I am interested in the AngelGliding system as I have a 12" Newt mirror i am thinking of re coating be great to see what your quote is from them
cheers Pete
Old 25-06-2020, 07:22 PM
billdan (Bill)

Hi Greg,
Sopticals (IIS member) over in NZ does all his mirrors with the angel gilding product.

Also check with customs before ordering in case there is block on those chemicals coming into the country.

Good luck with the slumping, I've seen Mels's site and they look awesome those big mirrors he's made. I guess the key to slumping is an accurate mould for the glass to conform to.

Cheers