Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 07-06-2020, 12:27 PM
rrussell1962

Astrosystems Secondary Heater

For ages now I have winced when I looked at the gaffer tape or shiny aluminium tape holding the wires going along the spider to the 9 volt battery on the UTA that powers my Astrosystems Secondary Heater. I am embarrassed that it took me so long to think of a solution. 3/8 threaded coupler from the hardware store epoxied to the back of the 9 volt battery box, shorten the wires, resolder the snap connector and just thread the battery holder on to the secondary holder bolt. I suppose I could have painted the coupler black, and may do so, but it can just be threaded so that the shiny coupler is on the other side of the battery box to the focusser. After a version 1 fail I realised that a nut below the coupler was useful to keep it in place, does not need to be tightened just turned up against the coupler. The battery box is completely behind the secondary and does not impinge into the light path - it looks bigger in the photo than it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0065.jpg)
161.6 KB47 views
Old 07-06-2020, 01:20 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

Looks like a nice, neat solution.

Philip