Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 18-05-2017, 12:02 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool Who is using Zoom Binoculars?

I enjoy binoculars for daytime and night time use.

I have read so many advisories against zoom binoculars, but are they justified? Perhaps at one time, but are the modern models better?

I just purchased a set of Nikon 10-21X50s and I have to say I like them a lot, but I have only had them for a few weeks.
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...-10-22x50.html

Positive points
  • sharp image - collimation is excellent
  • bright
  • Comfortable to hold and adjust
  • Overall mechanicals are smooth are easy to use
  • zoom is very smooth and enough light for the magnification for daytime use

Negatives
  • They are heavier than 10X50s
  • Minimum focus distance is 49 feet. Not an issue for astronomy but perhaps for some daytime uses, like bird watching.
  • field of view, at 10X is only 3.9 degrees as opposed to a typical 6 degrees for 10X50s

So, if you own and use zoom binoculars I would love to hear the joy or the pain that you have experienced with your zooms.

Happy camper?

Never again?

Inquiring 2-eye observers would like to know.

Last edited by AEAJR; 18-05-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old 18-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

I generally get the nocs out to check what the seeing may promise later in the night. If it looks like a goer, then I set up the scopes. No pain involved. Also use either an old EQ mount, but also have a monopod which is nice and quick!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMGP0030.jpg)
146.6 KB23 views
Old 25-05-2017, 12:47 PM
AEAJR (Ed)

Well the Nikons are working great for my wife's bird watching.

Thought I might like to try a pair for myself but I did not want to give up the 6 degree FOV of the 10X50s that I am using now. Also the close focus on her Nikons is 49 feet. I wanted something that could focus closer.

So I searched around and the best I could find, from a specs point of view is the Celestron UpClose 7-21X40 binoculars. 5.3 degree FOV and 26 foot close focus.

They should be here Tuesday so I will get a chance to try them out and report on how they work. For $35 US there is not much risk. I would have gladly paid over $100 if I could have found something that met my objectives.

We will see.
Old 25-05-2017, 06:16 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

vry few good zoom binoc avail, most are rubbish -stick with the nikons, most others will disappoint
Old 26-05-2017, 12:25 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Daniel,

Do you own or have you used zoom binoculars yourself? I am interested in people's personal experiences, especially recent experiences more than 20 years ago.

I am not here to promote or condemn zoom binoculars but to hear about people's experiences, especially recent experience. And I will share mine.

Time and technology move forward and what was impossible is now common. What was wildly expensive is now affordable.

I have read a lot about how bad zoom binoculars are but have only had my first experience recently and it has been quite good.

I will have my second later today when my second set arrive.

The first were Nikons, about $150.

The second will be Celestron, about $35.

Whatever the result I will report it here. Note that these have been purchased more for bird watching than astronomy but I fully intend to use them for both if they prove applicable.

What may have been true in the past is important to know. My my main interest is what is true now based on current product.

Watch this space for my report.
Old 26-05-2017, 09:02 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

have tried three sets, best were a 7-12xx40 , old pair, maybe from early 80's...but collimation was off so went back
modern saxon zoom were horrible at anything past min power
vixen big zoom, not great at 40x80, ok at 16x80