Old 04-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

1st Saturn for 2017

The weather has been lousy here in Melbourne over the last few days and another new moon went begging. The clouds finally cleared last night to allow me to get the Esprit 100 out again.

No deep sky this time but I've been itching to have a crack at Saturn now that it is rising a bit earlier in the evening.

I took a shot of Jupiter while I was waiting for Saturn to climb high enough to clear the trees and it was close to 1.00am before I could see it in the viewfinder of my 550d.

By the time I was capturing some footage the seeing had deteriorated and Saturn was starting to wobble like jelly , I gave up and packed everything away. These pics are the result of the session and they reflect the atmospheric conditions, so I'll be having another go when the sky God is kinder to me. At least I got something.

It's another clear night tonight but I'll be leaving it for someone else to have a go and walk around work like a zombie tomorrow .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1stSat030517.JPG)
39.0 KB72 views
Click for full-size image (Jupiter030517.JPG)
39.6 KB60 views
Old 05-05-2017, 12:07 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Im guessing the seeing is much the same tonight as Jupiter looked very similar through my 4" as your photo shows
I left the scope out waiting for Saturn but when I went out the skies had been covered in kinda thick high level Cloud
Old 05-05-2017, 12:18 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

That's a bummer Colin, always happens when you've set everything up and you're ready to go. Opposition is not for a few weeks and Saturn will be up there for a while so you'll have another opportunity I'm sure. It was supposed to be clear over Melbourne until at least 1.00 am, so you've been unlucky.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:11 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Nice Michael, you got some good colour in the the bands and rings. I had a crack as well with the Dob but I think like you the clouds spoiled the party. I'll try again on a better night. I like the amount of detail you got out of Jupiter also.