Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science

Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 PM
JimIrish (Jim)

wishing to compare two Sky Quality Meters with others'

colleagues,

I recently received a second SQM from Unihedron - a narrow beam one to complement the standard wide-beam one I purchased in ~September. I've begun a program of observations throughout Victoria, mainly in or near urban areas, to characterize the night sky (both zenith and at lower zenith angles) typically experienced away from dark sky sites.

I'll obviously inter-compare the two instruments I have at the first opportunity (in about a fortnight). It occurs to me that it would be useful if SQM users in Australia who live within a few hundred kilometres of each other might want to set up a chain of intercomparisons by meeting up whenever convenient and dark/cloud-free.

I live at Hoppers Crossing (30km west of melbourne), but am willing to drive to meet.

Anyone interested - in Victoria to begin with? PM me if so,

Jim Irish

Last edited by JimIrish; 08-01-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: additonal text
Old 01-04-2017, 03:05 PM
chappo001 (Mike)

Jim, Hi

Just stumbled across your message here, I'm not a big user of Ice in Space, not really my thing, in fact looking for something else. I'm completing a project for my Masters on using remote sensing to measure light pollution. The opportunity to calibrate with ground measurements is missing from most of such studies. I hope you submit your data to any of the data collection sites you can find all the sites from this link http://www.myskyatnight.com/#about

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Interesting term "light pollution"

.....don't like it one bit

A general definition of "pollution" could be stated thusly:

Presence of matter (gas, liquid, solid) or energy (heat, noise, radiation) whose nature, location, or quantity directly or indirectly alters characteristics or processes of any part of the environment, and causes (or has the potential to cause) damage to the condition, health, safety, or welfare of animals, humans, plants, or property.

....or astrophotography equipment?

Last edited by Eratosthenes; 10-04-2017 at 07:32 PM.