ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-05-2017, 08:20 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Orion Narrowband OIII/Ha/SII

Thanks to Dylan for his useful tool that I used to discover the best combination of filter data for this image!

This is around 13 hours of data I was able to grab back in December last year with the ASI1600 mono-cooled and Tak E-130D, as usual I would have preferred to get more data, but the weather was iffy back then, though it was the start of the great summer spell we eventually had. Max number of frames useable was 22 for Ha, all subs 900 secs, except for an hour worth of 60 second subs for the core.

I was sure I also obtained some RGB data, but alas I couldn't find it, so here I did my best to achieve a pleasing varied RGB look, well I tried at least!

Higher rez image in Astrobin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Orion LR final3 small.jpg)
198.2 KB119 views
Old 21-05-2017, 02:12 AM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

There is no doubt that you have gone really deep with the Ha. It does have a the HDR look with the short 60s work, but you haven't had a full go with data for OIII and RGB. Dude, looking forward to seeing this with full LRGB+Ha&OIII. Next year, dude. Hope you're bangin in some data for other targets for the time being. M42 to Earth, I'll be back....
Old 21-05-2017, 07:41 AM
topheart

Hi Simon,
I really like it!
Cheers,
Tim
Old 21-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

You've gone really deep with this one Simon! Almost no region to set a black point at all
Old 21-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

That's a very skillful shot, great data, and amazing processing, but I feel you've given much too much emphasis to the background to the point where M42 proper becomes rather flat and diagrammatic. (I can see that this exploration of the background is a perfectly legitimate, worthwhile, and interesting exercise.)

One thing I do like a lot is the jagged arcuate bolt of lightning running from about 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock at the edge of M42. Don't think I've ever noticed that before.

Very best,
Mike

(Trish is feeding the chooks)
Old 21-05-2017, 01:52 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Hey Thanks Troy! Yeah I'll keep this data to build on over 10-20yrs . I have plenty of data to process still from the great season we had in early part of 2017. Almost too much, my partner has been so supportive re. Backyard imaging. Definitely my best astro upgrade for 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza132 View Post
There is no doubt that you have gone really deep with the Ha. It does have a the HDR look with the short 60s work, but you haven't had a full go with data for OIII and RGB. Dude, looking forward to seeing this with full LRGB+Ha&OIII. Next year, dude. Hope you're bangin in some data for other targets for the time being. M42 to Earth, I'll be back....
Thanks Tim, glad you do. Plenty of effort expended on this hard bugger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheart View Post
Hi Simon,
I really like it!
Cheers,
Tim
Thanks colin, haha, yes the dust and 'dark matter' prevented any black pixels. Sorry for breaking the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
You've gone really deep with this one Simon! Almost no region to set a black point at all
Wow thanks M&T, much appreciated. I had to weigh that up, as yes the broader nebulosity became a much more dominant feature- which in the end I loved and haven't seen too many narrowband images feature. Maybe 'more data' will reverse the score difference in the future.

Loving the Facebook updates from Trish, the farm looks gorgeous and most inspiring. One day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
That's a very skillful shot, great data, and amazing processing, but I feel you've given much too much emphasis to the background to the point where M42 proper becomes rather flat and diagrammatic. (I can see that this exploration of the background is a perfectly legitimate, worthwhile, and interesting exercise.)

One thing I do like a lot is the jagged arcuate bolt of lightning running from about 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock at the edge of M42. Don't think I've ever noticed that before.

Very best,
Mike

(Trish is feeding the chooks)
Old 21-05-2017, 07:43 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

That's very impressive Simon.
Old 21-05-2017, 08:11 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

That's pretty crazy, Simon. I have looked at it a few times today and I still can't decide whether I love or hate it
Old 22-05-2017, 03:48 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

That's ok Rick, art often polarizes. I'm working with a friend to see what other results I can get, In between other processing jobs! Busy times, almost glad the skies have been bad down here