Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-05-2017, 06:05 PM
DJScotty (Scott)

Modding a canon dslr - debayering

Hi there all.
I have a 500d which has a bung usb port. Thus it very rarely gets used. I am looking to debayer it so i can use it for monochrome architectural photography.
Does anyone know of or have the ability to do this?

Cheers

Scott
Old 21-05-2017, 08:21 PM
glend (Glen)

I have debayered a 450D. The process is available online, there are a couple of different techniques: scrape , glass polishing. Chemical debayering does not work. Be aware that it is an extremely risky mod, and most likely you will destroy the sensor function. I suggest you do the online research first, buy some spare sensors, at least two, you will need them. It helps alot to have camera filter mod experience before you start, as you will know about disassembly and reassembly.

BTW, you could simply change your camera image settings to monochrome and save yourself all the grief. The setting change to monochrome should be fine for your purpose, as the luminance is still there. People want debayered sensors so that every single pixel is gathering data in astro long exposures, not something you need for your purpose imho.
Old 21-05-2017, 08:41 PM
leon

Yep listen to Glen, if not go here, https://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/...rials/canon-5d

I took the filter out of my Canon 5D with this process, and although a lot of work and sweat it worked.
However it is a risky business, at that time a Canon 5D was worth $5000.00

Leon
Old 21-05-2017, 08:42 PM
DJScotty (Scott)

Thanks for the comments Glen and Leon.
I have read extensively about it and fully understand how risky it is. That's why I want someone else to do it!
In regards to the reasons for the mod I have been using my asi1600mm for architectural photography and have been extremely impressed with the quality of the images it is producing. Very little noise and far sharper and more detail than with my 600d. The difficulty is a laptop is essential and is quite impractical for frequent use plus you tend to get quite odd looks from people!
Plus the post by ja about that 100mp monochrome camera pushed me in that direction.
So very keen to have a debayered dslr.
Scott
Old 21-05-2017, 08:54 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJScotty View Post
Thanks for the comments Glen and Leon.
I have read extensively about it and fully understand how risky it is. That's why I want someone else to do it!
In regards to the reasons for the mod I have been using my asi1600mm for architectural photography and have been extremely impressed with the quality of the images it is producing. Very little noise and far sharper and more detail than with my 600d. The difficulty is a laptop is essential and is quite impractical for frequent use plus you tend to get quite odd looks from people!
Plus the post by ja about that 100mp monochrome camera pushed me in that direction.
So very keen to have a debayered dslr.
Scott
Ok good luck. I certainly will not be offering to do it. Central DS used to offer a sensor debayering service, about $500 USD i recall at the time. They can probably do full conversions, or you could buy a mono version from them with their warranty, but they are expensive.
Old 22-05-2017, 02:03 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Scott, my attempts to debayer the Nikon D70 sensor are shown here. Few people have succeeded but with many, many casualties.

You have been warned...
Old 22-05-2017, 07:10 AM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

what about running your asi1600 with a smart phone instead of a laptop? https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com...ndroid-device/
Old 22-05-2017, 08:45 AM
DJScotty (Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuhlack View Post
what about running your asi1600 with a smart phone instead of a laptop? https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com...ndroid-device/
Very interesting!
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it will operate the efw as well.
Old 22-05-2017, 08:46 AM
DJScotty (Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Scott, my attempts to debayer the Nikon D70 sensor are shown here. Few people have succeeded but with many, many casualties.

You have been warned...
Luka are you suggesting you are willing to do it? !
Old 22-05-2017, 02:05 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
.....Few people have succeeded but with many, many casualties..... You have been warned...
Haaaa ...a battle weary soldier!