Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2017, 02:06 PM
jman17

Ideas on this Saxon scope and Skywatcher mount?

Hi,

I currently am using a SkyWatcher Heritage 130P scope which is a good scope for what it is but I am thinking about an upgrade to a more powerful scope. I am interested in the following Saxon 200DS F5 reflector for around $500 from AstroPetes, which is apparently for visual and photographic use. http://www.astropetes.com.au/telesco...wtAstro_8.html. I have also seen the following SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GT mount, also from AstroPetes, for around $2300.
http://www.astropetes.com.au/Mounts/...AZ_EQ6_GT.html. I know that for $500 the OTA might not be as good as much more expensive ones but would it do a decent job until I could afford a more costly one, as I am on a limited budget. I would set it up with a coma corrector as recommended on the AstroPetes site, and I would want it for varied visual use and astrophotography. I know it is an expensive mount but using it in Alt Az mode for visual use sound appealing. If anyone could please give me some advice on this setup I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
jman17
Old 07-05-2017, 02:16 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

you can get an 8" GSO newt on heq5pro from andrews for 1699

if you want an alt/az mount for it buy a dobsonian base imo
Old 07-05-2017, 04:54 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

As a rule for imaging, you want to get a good mount as your number 1 priority. You can get decent images with a less expensive scopes if on a good mount, but a $5000 scope on a bad mount or one with a low weight capacity will disappoint. I have the same mount and have been very happy with it so far. Has some scope to upgrade gear later on with it's 20kg weight capacity. Just be aware that it is a reasonably heavy unit and can get a bit tiresome if not in a permanent setup setting up and tearing down each night. You mentioned using the scope for visual. Newtonians on EQ mounts can be a little problematic as the eyepiece ends up in some odd positions. I cannot comment on the scope as I have no knowledge of it. I know that the Saxon newt I had was not very well made as far as the collimation mechanism was concerned, hopefully that issue has been addressed if this is an imaging scope, newts need good collimation if used for imaging.

Malcolm
Old 16-05-2017, 09:15 AM
jman17

HEQ5Pro mount with 200mm reflector for AP?

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I was going to stay away from the lighter mount with an 8inch Newtonian as I thought that with astrophotography gear it would be well over half of the max recommended weight, and I read that that is not a good idea. Is this the case? If I was to buy a scope like the recommended GSO 8inch reflector on a lighter mount like the SkyWatcher HEQ5Pro would it be too much weight for astrophotography? I was thinking about using a guide scope etc with this type of setup so that would add to the weight even more.

Thanks,
jman17
Old 16-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

sounds like a good plan to me. With a coma corrector, that scope should work just as well as much more expensive ones - it seems that it is possible to make quite good quality mirrors for low cost these days. The mechanical components of the scope will be lower quality than the more expensive ones, but will still do the job with a light weight camera. The AZEQ6 mount would be a good choice for imaging - it is worth getting something fairly solid.

If you want to do unattended imaging, you will need a focuser upgrade so that automatic refocusing is possible as the temperature varies. That could be either a stepper motor add-on to the existing focuser or a new unit such as a Moonlite. In the meantime though, manual focusing every half hour or so should be OK.

as has been pointed out, visual on an equatorial mount is a problem with a Newtonian - possible, but not all that convenient.

Last edited by Shiraz; 16-05-2017 at 10:44 AM.