Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-03-2017, 08:22 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

ANU - Zooniverse - planet 9

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/...orlds-planet-9

from the ABC; "ANU astronomers launch public search of the southern skies for elusive 'Planet Nine'

gotta give it a go
L
Old 27-03-2017, 08:30 AM
JA

Clipped ya by 14 minutes......

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=155360

Best
JA
Old 27-03-2017, 08:33 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

yes i just saw your post.
Old 28-03-2017, 01:23 AM
astro744

We have a planet nine; it's called Pluto! Planet X is the unknown one. Doesn't that make more sense?

On second thoughts if I find it I'm going to call,it Pluto so then we'll have a dwarf planet Pluto and a proper genuine full size planet Pluto too.

Is a pup still not a dog? Pluto will always be a planet in my books!

Or to be more technically correct is a small dog still not a dog? Don't want anyone thinking of seal pups. You just never know in this day and age.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by astro744; 28-03-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 28-03-2017, 05:16 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

Thanks ASTR0744 for an opportunity to get on one of my soapboxes

I reckon (aside from the seals) the issues ASTRO744 touches on are the result of astronomers, who should know much better, trying to classify the diversity of astronomical objects using incomplete knowledge and solar-system-centricity.

There is enough known now to understand that the volume and mass of bodies is likely an almost continuous sliding scale from the smallest speck to largest/densest star. And bodies all along that scale occur in many varieties of dynamic relationships with each other.

Prof. B Green and colleagues (who's discoveries contributed to IAU angst and Pluto's reclassification) have complied with the IAU's arbitrary classification when nick-naming postulated 'planet 9' and i reckon further illuminated the futility of such classification beyond permitting (over)simplified communication between humans.

School curricular should dwell more on the diversity than on rote learning an arbitrary classification system.

I reckon it's far better to have; an open inquiring mind, to be awed by the diversity and encourage complete understanding than it is to invest effort where it does not matter more than a jot.

Just what i reckon L
Old 01-04-2017, 02:24 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
We have a planet nine; it's called Pluto! Planet X is the unknown one. Doesn't that make more sense?

On second thoughts if I find it I'm going to call,it Pluto so then we'll have a dwarf planet Pluto and a proper genuine full size planet Pluto too.
I was thinking about this the other night. I thought I'd call it either "Tombaugh" or "Clyde says, Up Yours!"