Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 27-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Gee I’ve cooked up a storm with this Nagler eye piece !

Thanks everyone for the constructive evaluations and criticism Much appreciated !!

I have made my decision what to purchase with some simple advice from an extremely experienced amateur astronomer (40 plus years in the game )

I have purchased a Televue 27mm Panoptic and hope to use it over the next few nights if the weather is kind

Thanks again to all IIS members
Old 27-03-2018, 06:09 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Gee I’ve cooked up a storm with this Nagler eye piece !

Thanks everyone for the constructive evaluations and criticism Much appreciated !!

I have made my decision what to purchase with some simple advice from an extremely experienced amateur astronomer (40 plus years in the game )

I have purchased a Televue 27mm Panoptic and hope to use it over the next few nights if the weather is kind

Thanks again to all IIS members
congrats!
Old 28-03-2018, 03:22 AM
Don Pensack

The 22T4 is, in my opinion, the best of the T4 Naglers. I find it super comfortable and easy to use.

Glasses wearers will love it with the eyecup in the down position.
Non eyeglass wearers will want to have the eyecup clicked up a few clicks.

If this eyepiece seems sensitive to eye placement, it is purely because of its long eye relief and using the eyepiece with the eyecup too close to the top lens.

That some people have issues with long eye relief eyepieces is evidenced by the "pupil-positioning washer" provided with the T4s. The washer forces the eye to locate more centrally so the user won't be tempted to either drift sideways or get too close to the lens, either of which can cause blackouts in the field being viewed.
This is especially a problem with people who stand to observe (a practice I've never understood unless a ladder is involved).

The huge eye lens lends itself to an immersive view, and this eyepiece seems to have a much wider field than it does because the top lens is such a large percentage of the diameter of the eyepiece.

You will enjoy the 27mm Panoptic, which has very close to the same true field as the 22mm Nagler. It's a logical step down in power from the 17.3mm Delos, too.

The 12mm T4 Nagler, by the way, has been discontinued by TeleVue.
The 22mm, however, remains one of their best sellers.
Old 28-03-2018, 05:24 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pensack View Post
The 22T4 is, in my opinion, the best of the T4 Naglers. I find it super comfortable and easy to use.

Glasses wearers will love it with the eyecup in the down position.
Non eyeglass wearers will want to have the eyecup clicked up a few clicks.

If this eyepiece seems sensitive to eye placement, it is purely because of its long eye relief and using the eyepiece with the eyecup too close to the top lens.

That some people have issues with long eye relief eyepieces is evidenced by the "pupil-positioning washer" provided with the T4s. The washer forces the eye to locate more centrally so the user won't be tempted to either drift sideways or get too close to the lens, either of which can cause blackouts in the field being viewed.
This is especially a problem with people who stand to observe (a practice I've never understood unless a ladder is involved).

The huge eye lens lends itself to an immersive view, and this eyepiece seems to have a much wider field than it does because the top lens is such a large percentage of the diameter of the eyepiece.

You will enjoy the 27mm Panoptic, which has very close to the same true field as the 22mm Nagler. It's a logical step down in power from the 17.3mm Delos, too.

The 12mm T4 Nagler, by the way, has been discontinued by TeleVue.
The 22mm, however, remains one of their best sellers.
I haven't played too much with the eye cup on my 12mm Don, do you recommend 2 or 3 clicks as a starting point to see if it perhaps mitigates some of the issues I'm experiencing?

I'm not sure what you mean by "pupil-positioning washer", can you elaborate please?

ATM, I'm using a 6" dob, and it's generally too tall to sit and observe, and too low to stand and observe (right in between the 2 lol!). With my very bad back, it's making observing a pain in the you-know-what!!!

I didn't realise you were on the IIS forums Don! I've always found your insights on CN worthwhile reading!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 28-03-2018, 06:22 AM
Don Pensack

yes. 2 or 3 clicks.
The black washer comes with the T4 eyepieces and rests on the rubber eyecup to help position the eye.
Try a short stool for the dob to make it more comfortable.
Old 28-03-2018, 09:30 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pensack View Post
yes. 2 or 3 clicks.
The black washer comes with the T4 eyepieces and rests on the rubber eyecup to help position the eye.
Try a short stool for the dob to make it more comfortable.
OK, will have a look (and play) with the 12mm. I'm hoping it fixes the kidney beaning issue for me. Other than that, the eyepiece is very sharp with lovely contrast.