Old 12-08-2020, 09:37 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

FOA60Q vs FC76"Q"

Legends,

I've been reading as much as I can find on small Taks at the moment and am so impressed with the modularity of these systems.

It seems that, for a brief period, everyone was super stoked on the the FC76DCU with 1.7x extender, but I see some of those people discussing them with enthusiasm have now switched to a FOA60Q.

I wonder if anyone here has some thoughts on the two? Is it just the correction of the FOA that has people switching? I read that with the 1.7x installed the correction of the 76 is also very good. I'd really be keen to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,
JP
Old 12-08-2020, 09:54 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

JP,
I've had a couple of each type, in fact I built my FC76DCU before Tak even offered their version for sale. I like the FOA60Q for its diminutive size while giving those 'textbook perfect' views. The FC76DCU is certainly going to give brighter views and it is hard to fault it but it is a larger package.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to achieve. For me the AZ-GTi on the ReallyRightStuff carbon tripod and the FOA60Q is just a perfect little setup. I have had it at 180x without any sign of image deterioration.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:58 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Hi Matt,

Thanks, thats good to hear. So it was size, rather than seeing quality that swayed you? The FOA also has a longer travel focusser?

I've also been scratching around for a comparison table/resource for takahashi products... do you know if such a thing exists?

Cheers,

JP
Old 12-08-2020, 10:06 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Hi Matt,

Thanks, thats good to hear. So it was size, rather than seeing quality that swayed you? The FOA also has a longer travel focusser?

I've also been scratching around for a comparison table/resource for takahashi products... do you know if such a thing exists?

Cheers,

JP
I was actually going to make a FOA60Q binoscope and hoped that Ian Fry would sell me his FOA60Q cheaply for that project (they are consecutive serial numbers) but my dear wife didn't see the funny side of that idea.....

After my ventures into Tak ownership I have most details in the back of my mind but I don't know if an actual chart exists....

P.S. I got your message but haven't access to the lathe at the moment, if you want to try out the FOA60Q let me know.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:16 AM
Bergkamp_ (Neo)

Both are awesome scope.