Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 21-02-2019, 09:42 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

This is why I have a dashcam and tailgating camera, my latest video saw a twenty something get Careless driving, four points on his licence and two fines.
Old 22-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

More importantly with a dash cam you could record a massive meteorite strike.

Drive across the Nullabor maybe and take in the showers?

In Sydney now, as in Paris and Rome, people park by touch and no one even looks up or stops at small rear ends. Driving an expensive pristine car in the city is madness. Cap all insurance I say , like third party personal. Save us all a bundle and get Sunday vintage insurance for your baby.
Old 22-02-2019, 07:04 PM
DarkArts

Scumbags indeed.

Stealing another man's horse was a hanging offence. And abusing a horse would see you horsewhipped. Denting another's car ought to be treated as harshly, at least in my Friday-evening-not-so-clear-headed opinion.

I've had a few scratches in car parks and the like. Never found out who.
Old 23-02-2019, 09:21 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

New 40kmh past lighted emergancy vehicles .

HWY patrol car parked around a blind corner 100kmh motor way lights on , first car rounds bend sees police car and brakes hard trying to get to 40kmh , second car dosnt quite brake as hard hits first car who then carreers into hwy patrol car

third car Girl who works for us slows and just nudges car two no real damage to her car , car for rounds bend and just goes no cant stop and chooses to launch off an embankment missing everyone no one hurt thankfully .Three weeks later neg driving tickets for all and I wouldn't mind betting claims over most everyone for the totaled police car.
Old 23-02-2019, 09:29 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
I've had a few scratches in car parks
Likewise. After 40 years in Sydney I have come to three conclusions:

1. Never park next to anything with minor body damage, especially marks on the bumpers.

2. Never park next to SUV's and 4WD's - when the occupants of these fat monsters open their doors they'll ding your car.

3. Ideally park next to something rather more expensive than yours, ideally german or italian.
Old 24-02-2019, 06:59 AM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Likewise. After 40 years in Sydney I have come to three conclusions:

1. Never park next to anything with minor body damage, especially marks on the bumpers.

2. Never park next to SUV's and 4WD's - when the occupants of these fat monsters open their doors they'll ding your car.

3. Ideally park next to something rather more expensive than yours, ideally german or italian.
4. Never park 4WD near walk-way in supermarket, cars used as guide fences to get overloaded trolleys back to car.
Old 28-02-2019, 11:16 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Well, our family partook in this situation just yesterday (from the pointy end). I get a call from my lovely Wife around 4pm, saying she's just banged into a car whilst parking on the street. I'm reminded that Karma must be a real thing...

I tell her to leave a note with an apology, and my name and number, then get out of there fast. I had no idea if they were nice or hostile, and didn't want her (and my 2 kids) to be part of that experiment.

We could have sat on our hands and waited for a call, but curiosity was killing me. So I went to the house to say hello. I got there, and the most friendly lady was fully understanding, and clarified this is the THIRD time her cars had been bumped into. The poor things have such a steep driveway which is basically unuseable, forcing them to park on the street.

I tell her we are insured, etc, and won't be causing her any grief. Details were then exchanged. Her Husband then comes home. Also a champion, he reveals that he is a panel beater, and was going to repaint the car anyway. The damage from my Wife is 95% buffable, and he's not worried about it. I asked him to give me a call when it's done, and let me chip in a bit. Anything less than the insurance excess is a win, we both agreed.

Perhaps doing the right thing brings good Karma? If we snaked away, trusting our luck, she and/or her husband would be lawyers...
Old 28-02-2019, 03:23 PM
75BC (Brendon)
Always in the dark.

Cars are likely an even bigger obsession to me than astronomy.
Now I can afford new cars for my wife (I get the hand me downs) I do, cause I’ve worked bloody hard for it.
Her current car has been hit by other people 5 times in 3 years. The 3 worst - scratched a large section of the drivers side front, hit the passenger side front hard enough to break the clips leaving it hanging, and the most recent smacked the driver side rear door / wheelarch and left a fist sized dent and scrapes. 3 times she got lovely notes saying sorry. They must have just forgot to put their details on.
I used to drive $500 specials cause it was all I could afford and as said, I’ve worked hard for what we have now. We take great pride in keeping them looking nice so I find it infuriating people can treat someone else’s property with such disregard.

Unlike Andy n Family.