Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 29-07-2010, 09:55 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Rob,

although only a very small quiet group (there's not many of us Deep Sky ToUcammers left), you might be able to glean some info from the links in my 'Modified ToUcam' group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/modifiedtoucam/
Old 30-07-2010, 08:47 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Crikey..I saw some images taken with modded web cams (under images/webcams) (or under Webcam Messier) ..they are excellent..I'll now go & eat my hat!
Old 30-07-2010, 01:46 PM
robz (Robert)

Thanks for the links guys!!!

WOW!!!!!.....................MAN!.. ..............webcams can do this!!!!??????
Old 30-07-2010, 09:35 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by robz View Post
Thanks for the links guys!!!

WOW!!!!!.....................MAN!.. ..............webcams can do this!!!!??????
Yep They sure can.

Here is one of my video's of some of my Modified 840k ToUcam work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V3KJAwnanE

Although I now use a Canon 350d I sure did enjoy my years with the ToUcam
Old 31-07-2010, 01:13 PM
robz (Robert)

Just a straightforward question guys....................is using a webacm, modified or not,really worth the effort when you can buy a ''proper CCD astro camera such as the GSTAR series for a few hundred
Old 31-07-2010, 03:25 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

A few hundred? You'd be a very lucky person if you can buy a G-star for a few hundred.

What I have seen of G-Stars is that the monochrome model is very good. But what I have seen coming out of the colour G-Star is VERY dissappointing.

If you can get a Mono for a few hundred, go for it.
Old 31-07-2010, 04:27 PM
robz (Robert)

I was referring to the colour one which IS a few hundred, but I see that the price goes up and doubles for any serious imagers in the range.

Back to webcams............... ???????
Old 31-07-2010, 07:31 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Hello Robert,

I have not used a webcam much (but have played with a Meade LPI which is probably very similar).

I have also used a GStar-EX mono, and there is a huge difference between the two devices. The GStar is very acceptable, and at about AUD600 for the vanilla device (no filter holder etc) you get something that will not disappoint.

I really doubt a webcam will show you M1 from Sydney's light polluted skies in an 8" SCT at f/6.3 ... in near-real-time (2.56 sec / frame)

The GStar is quite able to do this.

I have found NGC6300 (mag 10.9) in near-real-time in my 8" SCT @ f/6.3 under Sydney skies. Stacking 400 images (unguided) produced a reasonable image that really encourages me to continue with my learning in this area.

For me it has been important to get some results fairly speedily. I use this as the way to decide whether to continue. If I had to get a big scope + polar mount set up, guided with a guidescope or off-axis guider, and a two-kilobuck+ camera (e.g. QHY8) to make my first image of a DSO ... I would never go there. It's too hard.

I also have a Meade DSI-c (the original edition) and I find its output to be much poorer than the GStar. Perhaps in the right hands it might be OK. But methinks my hands are not those hands.

Disclaimer:- I am not affiliated with MyAstroShop, and bought my GStar second-hand from an IceInSpace member. I have no financial interest in selling astro cameras.

Regards,
Tony Barry
Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 PM
robz (Robert)

Well,I picked up a cheap mini CCD security camera with USB convertor for nearly nothing.

It's total garbage...............even though it has a ''SONY HAD'' chip inside.............big deal!
Whether you use the composite out directly to a monitor or USB to P.C................crap!........... ...colours all over the place(thats if you can see them!!!!)...........brown is pink??????
On the P.C., even in the camera settings, you can't get anything decent.............there are faint horizontal lines intersecting the image..............no they aren't rolling, they're fixed, and they are there on video out as well as USB to P.C

The Microsoft WEBCAM kills it completely................even matches it in low light................go figure

I guess that when they reviewed it's performance against the 900nc and Logitech PRO 9000, they weren't kidding.
This VX 5000 could be a Toucam killer
Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
robz (Robert)

By pure persistance and maybe some frustration, I plugged the CCD cam. in to a portable CRT monitor via the composite input.

After making severe changes to brightness, contrast and saturation on the monitor, I have a MAGNIFICENT image(in the house at night)....even awesome in extreme low light. No horizontal lines anomaly seen??

What's going on here??
Old 16-08-2010, 01:36 PM
robz (Robert)

Bought a new USB capture device from Dick Smith's : GADGET GEEK brand.

Software/drivers loaded up first time. Image from the small CCD security camera totally blows away the webcams I've tried so far.
No noise or any other strange anomalies.

Will load up VIRTUAL DUB to see what control I cna get with it.

Under low light conditions, this thing now sees in the dark......amazing!

Can't wait to try it in prime focus on my 8 inch f4.4 Newtonian
Old 16-08-2010, 02:36 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Tried using a security camera last night mostly for planetary. Camera worked fine the mount didn't. Have to wait for the clouds to clear before trying again.
Old 20-08-2010, 03:23 PM
robz (Robert)

Hi Malcolm, yeah, this damn weather in Perth is a killer at the moment

What type of security camera are you using?.............would be curious