Old 12-06-2008, 08:44 PM
bojan
amateur

New Canon

New Canon 1000D with live view, for those with small budget is here....
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0806/08...Canon1000D.asp
Old 12-06-2008, 08:54 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Don't see the magic "14 bit" phrase in the preview though!
450D still looks like the way into 14 bit images still.

549 Euros on release = approx $890AU...that'll be down to about $690 on ebay in a month or so!!!
The winds of change are blowing in the imaging world again!!!
Doug
Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 PM
netwolf

Excellent news. I dont like the idea of wasting shutter clicks for focusing so the cheaper way to get Liveview is most welcome. And hopefully it can be modded easily.

Edit: just read 7 point focus instead of 9 and its using SDHC not CF. Is SDHC as good as CF?
Compare link 400d vs 1000D vs 450D
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/Canon_1000D/page2.asp

Last edited by netwolf; 13-06-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 13-06-2008, 08:42 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Excellent news. I dont like the idea of wasting shutter clicks for focusing so the cheaper way to get Liveview is most welcome. And hopefully it can be modded easily.

Edit: just read 7 point focus instead of 9 and its using SDHC not CF. Is SDHC as good as CF?
Compare link 400d vs 1000D vs 450D
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/Canon_1000D/page2.asp
Re shutter clicks.. you are mistaken here. With live view, there are 3x more clicks...
First, the shutter opens when you want live view..
Then stutter closes, and opens and closes again for exposure.
Then, it opens again for live view..
Old 13-06-2008, 09:02 AM
davewaldo
Tasmania

SDHC is a good memory format, both have their pluses and minuses but unless you already had a bunch of CF cards, I wouldn't let the SDHC cards put you off.

Old 13-06-2008, 09:09 AM
thomasz

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0806/08...Canon1000D.asp. This web is cool. I have just sign it.
Old 13-06-2008, 09:34 AM
netwolf

Bojan , I can see your point. It was my understanding though (perhaps i am wrong) with non-live view you probably will use several short exposures to get your focus right. Where as with live view. you can complete your focusing in one go during the first opening of the shutter.

I know you have some experience on this so i will ask. Do the Auto focus confirm chips from Russia help in anway? I am guessing you could hold the shutter open and turn yor focuser until you hear a beap. This would kind of emulate Live view focus.

Also I wonder how well this will perform in comparison to a 20D Camera. I am guessing it has the same/similar chip as the 400D. If similar i wonder if its an improved version.

Regards
Fahim
Old 13-06-2008, 10:01 AM
bojan
amateur

Fahim, I can see your point too :-)
However, I found that I do not need to focus that often, once per evening is enough of course. Actually as I have dedicated lens for wide angle ( 135mm and 200mm) I fixed the focus ring and that's it, I do not need to re-focus ever again... I am checking from time to time but it never changes enough to justify the re-focusing.
I never tried Russian Focus confirm chip, but I tried Chinese one and it is not very reliable (something is intermittent, it does not communicate with camera reliably. But when it works, it works on brighter stars, and with faster lenses (F5.6 and more. Not much luck with slower optics, though). FocussAssist is, however, the tool I am using (when I am re-focusing, that is).

EDIT:
Autofocus (and focus assist chips) work with shutter closed, actually, and all they do is they make camera "think" the proper autofocus lens (in manual mode) is attached to it. There is a small secondary mirror (behind a main one) that projects the image downwards where the focus assist CCD array is mounted. So everything is happening without live view..
I do not know for sure but I imagine that with cameras equipped with live view, autofocus will work via main sensor as well (when shutter is open)

Last edited by bojan; 13-06-2008 at 11:05 AM.