Old 17-06-2008, 09:30 PM
TrevorW

Side by Side Mount

Ok thanks for the inspiration here is the finished product although not perfect it'll do for the time being.

All I have to do now is get the thing balanced but once I attach a camera to the 80, I think it will even things up a bit although I'm not sure if the mount and motors can take the weight.

Last edited by TrevorW; 29-06-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 17-06-2008, 09:53 PM
cookie8 (Vincent)
Hooked since Halley's

Well Done Trevor! As they say: When there's a will there's a way.Didn't take long for you to make it.
Thumbs up
Vincent
Old 17-06-2008, 11:09 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

looks good mate...

Im undertaking this same task in a few weeks... though I want to have 3 mounts, guide scope on the left, central female dovetail adapter in the centre and a camera attachment on the right.... the center has to be a dovetail adapter because i want to be able to chop and change between my scopes on the mount...

have bookmarked this thread as a reference
Old 18-06-2008, 06:50 PM
leon

Nice work Trevor, and I bet it cost much lees than the pro stuff, sent upm a PM for the balancing procedure.

Leon
Old 19-06-2008, 11:06 PM
netwolf

What kind of equipment did you use to do this Trevor. I have been thinking that perhaps the best investment in this Hobby might be to have a few tools and the knowledge to use them. Some of the nicer accessories really to add a bit of cost to this hobby, that could be better spent elsewhere. In the US the have astronomy groups that actually have ATM clases and workshops where you can go in and use there tools and learn from others. I have also found this Belgian group through a member on the CN forums
http://users.pandora.be/Urania2/ They have a entire Telescope making course. Something like this down here might be worth while. That way the group buys the tools once and all can share. We can have standard templates for various bits and bobs people could use.

Regards
Fahim
Old 22-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

There are already groups like that in Aus Netwolf, but they are called "Mens Sheds" Pooled equipment and knowledge. The one I'm involved with is centred more on woodwork, but the there is gear there for metal work or anything else you want to get involved in.

Bill
Old 26-06-2008, 04:05 PM
TrevorW

Keep watching for version two, coming shortly !!

I've just purchased a couple of the Bintel dove tail plates and some more aluminum plating.

Old 26-06-2008, 05:43 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

cant wait to see it trevor
Old 26-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
What kind of equipment did you use to do this Trevor. I have been thinking that perhaps the best investment in this Hobby might be to have a few tools and the knowledge to use them. Some of the nicer accessories really to add a bit of cost to this hobby, that could be better spent elsewhere. In the US the have astronomy groups that actually have ATM clases and workshops where you can go in and use there tools and learn from others. I have also found this Belgian group through a member on the CN forums
http://users.pandora.be/Urania2/ They have a entire Telescope making course. Something like this down here might be worth while. That way the group buys the tools once and all can share. We can have standard templates for various bits and bobs people could use.

Regards
Fahim
Wouldn't need much - a good power drill or maybe a bench drill if you are fancy, maybe a gigsaw and circular saw (+ cutoff disks or a diamond blade).

Welding aluminium is best farmed out to someone else.
Old 26-06-2008, 09:00 PM
TrevorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
Wouldn't need much - a good power drill or maybe a bench drill if you are fancy, maybe a gigsaw and circular saw (+ cutoff disks or a diamond blade).

Welding aluminium is best farmed out to someone else.
Ian

My mounting adapter was made with the aid of a bench drill (a necessary item to get holes straight), hacksaw, metal files, die and tap set, vice and a lot of determination. All done by hand, although it would be nice to have a proper workshop with lathe etc.

I've had considerable experience in model building so I'm reasonably good at doing things by hand, it helps although I tend to rush things and end up doing things twice