Old 21-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Mars passing between M8 and M20

I had hoped to observe this event over several nights to watch Mars travel between the two. The weather had other ideas!
However, I did manage to get out early this morning with clear skies to observe Mars just past the M8 - M 20 paring.
I was using binoculars with a true 9 degree FOV and the view was quite special. The Lagoon and Trifid nebulae were very faint but obvious, with Mars nearby and Saturn out wide on the other side of the FOV with the rich star filed completing the scene.
I am disappointed the weather did not allow me to observe this over previous days where I would have seen Mars approach then enter and finally leave the gap between the Lagoon and RFID nebulae. I enjoy observing these transient events.
Old 21-03-2018, 04:16 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
I had hoped to observe this event over several nights to watch Mars travel between the two. The weather had other ideas!
However, I did manage to get out early this morning with clear skies to observe Mars just past the M8 - M 20 paring.
I was using binoculars with a true 9 degree FOV and the view was quite special. The Lagoon and Trifid nebulae were very faint but obvious, with Mars nearby and Saturn out wide on the other side of the FOV with the rich star filed completing the scene.
I am disappointed the weather did not allow me to observe this over previous days where I would have seen Mars approach then enter and finally leave the gap between the Lagoon and RFID nebulae. I enjoy observing these transient events.
Something special those events..though MARS SATURN AND M22 CONJUNCTIONS are coming up on the 1st,2nd April.

Weather has been appalling here in Sydney Steve, and a lot of my planned observing cancelled , though I did see a lovely Ganymede and Red Spot Transit fleetingly recently...Blue Festoons and brick Red Spot in the 130mm TS Triplet, and Tak 6mm, and also Taks Superlative TOE 3.3mm EPs.
Cheers bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 21-03-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Add
Old 21-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I managed to observe and image Mars between M8 and M20 early Tuesday morning and it was quite a novel sight. Would have liked to have observed for a few days before and after but other things got in the way.
ED80 modded 450D HEQ5 , 20 X 30 sec. exp. @ 800 iso.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180320Mars M8.jpg)
210.7 KB46 views
Old 21-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Stonius (Markus)

I was sad to miss out on that one, but I notice that around the 31st it's half a degree away from M22 (Globular) and 1 degree away from Saturn. Could be good to see.
Old 21-03-2018, 06:07 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
I managed to observe and image Mars between M8 and M20 early Tuesday morning and it was quite a novel sight. Would have liked to have observed for a few days before and after but other things got in the way.
ED80 modded 450D HEQ5 , 20 X 30 sec. exp. @ 800 iso.
Thanks for sharing your experience Jeff..
Missed this due to CLOUDS Keeping my fingers crossed for 31st, 1st ,2nd April when Mars Sarturn M22 etc will be very close in the sky..A rare sight for all of us indeed.
bigjoe.