Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2020, 12:06 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Rowan Belt mod for an EQ6-service provider?

Hi

I’d like to get the Rowan belt mod done on my aging NEQ6 and dont want to attempt it myself

I know in the past there was someone who offered this As a service but is there anyone currently who does?ideally in or around Sydney but if it comes to that willing to cop postage

I asked Bintel and they don’t service EQ6s anymore

Thanks in advance

Narayan
Old 05-07-2020, 12:10 PM
Imme (Jon)

It’s very straight forward....almost simple.

I’d suggest if you’re doing the belt mod do the bearings and clean/regrease as well.... minimal extra cost in the scheme of things.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:33 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I just stumbled across a YouTube series on belt modifying an NEQ6 Mount by Optics Central
Probably worth a look
Only gazed for 2 minutes and it looks quite detailed and straight forward for DIY
Posted in March 2020 so very recent
Old 05-07-2020, 01:58 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I just stumbled across a YouTube series on belt modifying an NEQ6 Mount by Optics Central
Probably worth a look
Only gazed for 2 minutes and it looks quite detailed and straight forward for DIY
Posted in March 2020 so very recent
Thanks looking for it now....
Old 05-07-2020, 06:27 PM
glend (Glen)

Be careful, some NEQ6s, EQ6s, etc, have metal flashing on the inside of the cast case which will not allow the belt free passage through the gap. When I installed my Rowan belt kit I had to machine off some of the case edge with a Dremel tool to get clearance. They can all be abit different, as the factory did not bother opening up the passage when it just needed easy run for a gear. I agree the worm bearings should be done as well, and carefully adjust the worm end play, you want no slop in it, but do not over tighten it to the point of binding.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:44 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Be careful, some NEQ6s, EQ6s, etc, have metal flashing on the inside of the cast case which will not allow the belt free passage through the gap. When I installed my Rowan belt kit I had to machine off some of the case edge with a Dremel tool to get clearance. They can all be abit different, as the factory did not bother opening up the passage when it just needed easy run for a gear. I agree the worm bearings should be done as well, and carefully adjust the worm end play, you want no slop in it, but do not over tighten it to the point of binding.
Yes thanks I saw you had earlier posted about this issue when I did a search on IIS. On the whole after looking at the YouTube videos etc and with absolutely zero tools I think I am of the view that if I can find someone who can do it I’d be preferable

Not sure I am upto tackling this task!