Old 25-05-2011, 06:48 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re fish eye lens.

My father recently bought a Canon kit,and is getting back into phoptography-he use to do quite a bit,back in the seventies and eighties-even on a pro level.

Already,he is been asked about doing some paid jobs,he asked me about fish eye lenses,(why I do not know,strange ideas he has),I told him one would be at least $1000.Not sure so I thought I'd ask here-what would IIS know about them may be useful.

He may be looking at a 70-200 F4,do they work with a 1.4 or 2 time TC?I think those TC are around $500??

Not sure what he has planned,but being a good son (and on pole position in dispatches)I'd better give him some advice.

thanks for any thoughts on fish eyes,and TC's-Chris
Old 25-05-2011, 07:13 PM
koputai (Jason)

Hi Chris,

Yes, the 70-200 f/4L (IS or not) can be used with the tele-exdenders, I use mine with the 1.4x

You'll get f/5.6 max aperture with the 1.4x and f/8 max aperture with the 2x.

Canon do a 15mm fisheye for about $850 from the usual suspects, but on a crop camera this lens isn't a true fisheye. There's a new Canon fisheye zoom on the way, 8mm-15mm IIRC, which is meant to be effective on a crop camera, but it's not available yet.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 25-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Chris, I have a few fisheye lenses, Sigma 16mm F2.8, 8mm F4, 8 mm F3.5 and a Nikon 8mm F2.8

The Sigma 8mm F3.5 blitzes the field, though the Nikon 8mm F2.8 is not too far behind if stopped down.
Old 25-05-2011, 08:08 PM
koputai (Jason)

The Sigma 8mm though, like the Canon 15mm, does not give fisheye results on a 1.6x crop body. I don't know of any currently available fisheye lenses that work properly on a 1.6x crop. The new Canon one will. It's meant to be available fairly soon, at under $1000.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 25-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
The new Canon one will. It's meant to be available fairly soon, at under $1000.

Cheers,
Jason.
Which Canon lens is that Jase? The only new glass I've heard of from them is the 8-15mm zoom.
Old 25-05-2011, 08:49 PM
koputai (Jason)

That's the one Peter, as per post #2. Pricing has disappeared now, but the grey importers were all saying it would be about $950. I suppose we really need to wait and see what the real price is on arrival.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 25-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
That's the one Peter, as per post #2. Pricing has disappeared now, but the grey importers were all saying it would be about $950. I suppose we really need to wait and see what the real price is on arrival.

Cheers,
Jason.
Ah...thought that might have been the one....I've been trying to buy one
here, Singapore, the USA and the UK for a while but no joy to date.

I've been told not expect to see any until 2012 due the Tsunami in Japan..and pricing I've found is more like $US 1400.

For APC users Sigma have had a 4.5mm available for some time, but again, well above the $1k mark.
Old 25-05-2011, 09:14 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

If you want to consider a non-Canon lens, look at the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

Again it isn't a true fisheye on a crop frame DSLR, but the FOV is pretty big, and it has minimal distortion. For flash you will need an external unit - I get a shadow of the lens with the builtin flash on my Sony.

A fisheye for a 1.5-1.6 crop would have to be about 6mm to get close to the same FOV of a 10mm on a full frame.
Old 25-05-2011, 09:53 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

I've been using the Nikkor DX 10.5 mm f/2.8 full-frame fisheye for a year or more and am very happy with it. I picked up a near-new one for about $750.

Chris
Old 26-05-2011, 06:58 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re fish eye

Thanks all who replied,I'll pass that information on to him,I had heard of the Tokina 11-16,but not some of the others or new releases.

I thought it a tad strange,someone wanting to purchase a fisheye,as their first non kit lens,I think he would get a lot more regular use from a 24-105 L or 70-200 L

RE-TC,those 1.4 TC if I used one on my 400 mm L prime,would the AV go to
F 8 and would it still AF?? If I got one for 400 L I imagine it would only be able to be used in middle of day with lots of sun.

Anyone here using a 1.4 TC on a 400 prime or 100-400 L,or similar,how does it go??approx what price are they?

Thanks Chris
Old 26-05-2011, 07:38 AM
acropolite (Phil)

h0ughy has a Sigma 10mm fisheye, works nicely on a crop body. From memory the 10mm Siggy exhibited far less coma (on a crop body) at the edges than did my 15mm Canon on Full Frame, although that's really only an issue if you're going to use them for Astro work.
Fisheyeyes used creatively can yield some very nice results, I love mine.

regarding the Canon L series zoom fisheye, I understand that they were having "production issues" even before the Tsunami.
Old 26-05-2011, 07:41 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

What does he plan on using it for?
Old 26-05-2011, 07:51 AM
koputai (Jason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
RE-TC,those 1.4 TC if I used one on my 400 mm L prime,would the AV go to F 8 and would it still AF?
That's right Chris. If you used the 1.4x on your 400mm f/5.6, you would have max apperture of f/8, and no AF on regular bodies.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 26-05-2011, 12:59 PM
hotspur (Chris)

rte lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
What does he plan on using it for?

Really not sure Mike,Only had a quick chat with him the other night,but its not astronomy use.He has been asked by metal fabrication steel factory about taking photos for their calenders,So not sure if he plans for its use there.
Or just something he may have been thinking about getting for years.

RE-TC-thanks Jason,I thought there was no AF.I think I'll give them a miss-I am to lazy to focus,and I never get it as good as the AF.

C
Old 26-05-2011, 02:05 PM
koputai (Jason)

Canon announced yesterday that the 8-15mm fisheye will be on sale from late July.

http://www.canon-europe.com/About_Us...spx?source=rss

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 26-05-2011, 04:39 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Really not sure Mike,Only had a quick chat with him the other night,but its not astronomy use.He has been asked by metal fabrication steel factory about taking photos for their calenders,So not sure if he plans for its use there.
A fisheye sounds like the wrong thing for that. They'd almost certainly want a wide angle but not a distorted view.
Quote:
Or just something he may have been thinking about getting for years.
More boy's toys?
Quote:
RE-TC-thanks Jason,I thought there was no AF.I think I'll give them a miss-I am to lazy to focus,and I never get it as good as the AF.
At these short focal lengths the depth of field means getting the focus dead on is not that important. I find at 11mm, f3.5 and set on infinity everything beyond about 1.5 m is in focus. I do find if I want to use the AF I have to use spot focus, otherwise the camera AF gets confused.
Old 26-05-2011, 05:28 PM
koputai (Jason)

For depth of field calcs try this:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

The hyperfocal distance is interesting.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:

I thought it a tad strange,someone wanting to purchase a fisheye,as their first non kit lens,I think he would get a lot more regular use from a 24-105 L or 70-200 L

You don't say what the kit lens is but I'd guess that a good step up would be the 15-85mm. I certainly hope so because I have one on the way. It's replacing my 17-85 which has developed a fault. I found it a very useful walk around lens. It covers from wide-ish landscape moderate telephoto. I think a 24-105 is too long (assuming a crop sensor) for that role. I certainly take a lot of shots at <20mm. (Then get the 70-200 L and 1.4x)