Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2017, 10:04 AM
garymck (Gary)

Going to Japan - buy Tak?

Hi
I previously had a TSA120 which I sold (despite exquisite optics for its size)- primarily because, for visual use, my C11 (admittedly a nice example) ate it for breakfast in every aspect of visual use. The C11 is now set up permanently on my Mesu 200 in my obs and being used exclusively for longer focal length imaging.

I'm travelling to Japan for a 3 week holiday in a week and it just occurred to me that it might be worthwhile bringing back another Tak for portable imaging/visual use.

Is it worthwhile buying there as opposed to here? Would a TSA120 fit as carry on baggage (JAL), what about one of the FC100 models? Have not looked through the FC's what are they like?

cheers
Gary
Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Seeing you have had the TSA120 before you will know what to expect.

Unless you need extreme portability the TSA120 is all-round better that the FC especially that extra 20mm for visual makes that little bit of difference

Plus your mounts will easily handle it.....

Of course Lewis might be bored with his TSA102 already and might want to sell it
Old 08-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
Hi
I previously had a TSA120 which I sold (despite exquisite optics for its size)- primarily because, for visual use, my C11 (admittedly a nice example) ate it for breakfast in every aspect of visual use. The C11 is now set up permanently on my Mesu 200 in my obs and being used exclusively for longer focal length imaging.

I'm travelling to Japan for a 3 week holiday in a week and it just occurred to me that it might be worthwhile bringing back another Tak for portable imaging/visual use.

Is it worthwhile buying there as opposed to here? Would a TSA120 fit as carry on baggage (JAL), what about one of the FC100 models? Have not looked through the FC's what are they like?

cheers
Gary
The TSA120 with its focuser removed is still 630mm long.
JAL cabin baggage limit is one bag 55x40x20 and 10kg.
TSA120 duty free from Kyoei-Sangyo is 393000 JPY or about $4715 Ozzie $.
if you get asked to pay GST then $5200 and no warranty service in Australia...

Old 08-09-2017, 04:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Why not buy 2nd hand from Starbase or Barry Gooley or other retailers there? A LOT cheaper than new
Old 08-09-2017, 04:25 PM
garymck (Gary)

Wow, the Japanese prices are way more expensive than elswhere. Will have to wait until I travel to Asia next year I think....
cheers
Gary
Old 08-09-2017, 04:26 PM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Why not buy 2nd hand from Starbase or Barry Gooley or other retailers there? A LOT cheaper than new
Lewis, do you have links for them?
gary
Old 08-09-2017, 04:52 PM
scopey (Les)

Gary,Gary,Gary,-----Aperture always rules. But there is nothing like a good refractor for those diamond like stars. Especially a TAK TSA 120.

Scopey
Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 PM
GOTO (Geoff)

Kyoei Sangyo... I bought my C8 there and carried the Ita back as hand luggage but that was a long time ago. Barry Gooley at Kokusai Khoki is a good bloke too but Japan is rather expensive. I always shop there now only for accessories and would rather buy a scope here. Occasionally there are sales but strangely the second hand market is overpriced imo. There are two telescope shops in Akihabara, one being Kyoei and the other is Starbase. Don't overlook the big shops like Yodobashi too but mainly Vixen. It's a great place to shop.
Cheers
Geoff