Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 18-11-2020, 07:34 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Apps “Run as Administrator” Windows 10

I been given conflicting advice about running my AP apps under “Run as Administrator “ in Windows 10
Currently I use APT , PHD2 , BYEOS, EQMOD and Stellarium

Some folk have said don’t run them “as Administrator” because if you do when they start up they have their own memory space and can’t communicate with other apps

Other folk have said they should be run as Administrator

I know all these apps talk to each other via the Ascom platform so what is the correct way to run them

I welcome some advice off experienced folk in regards to “Run as Administrator” option

Thanks
Old 19-11-2020, 08:46 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Seems like no one uses computers ?

Anyway I received a reply on the APT and EQMOD forum recommending not to run any app as Administrator as it can cause issues between programs

Last night went out to do some testing with all apps "not run as Administrator". Everything worked fine I had Stellarium open and EQMOD open and slewing the scope , syncing alignment points etc... it wasn't until I manually opened PHD2 and it launch EQMOD again with an error message plus PHD2 lost its connection to the mount.
So shut down Laptop, changed all apps ( APT, PHD2,Stellarium and EQMOD ) to "Run As Administrator"
Fired up Laptop, opened my apps , navigated across the sky , picked a target , framed and focused, started PHD2 guiding everything worked perfectly all night. Shut down and restarted again, everything worked perfect again

I think the problem I have stems from the fact I open my apps manually in a sequential manner and don't allow apps to launch and connect other apps ( eg APT open which normally would open PHD2 for you )
I choose to do a manual sequential start up

So I'm leaving all my apps as Run as Administrator mode ( probably not the conventional way of running programs ) but it works for me

Hope the above info is helpful ??
Old 19-11-2020, 12:30 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I run Voyager as administrator, it opens everything else for itself and does not seem to run in to any issues. I used a program called Winaero Tweaker to create a shortcut to Voyager with elevated privileges as otherwise I would get the UAC warning prior to starting it every time, which I did not want to have to deal with. Voyager is configured to start on system start so if I was to connect to it via the web dashboard all I need to do is power on the machine and Voyager runs (It is an intel NUC and configured to boot on power being applied) and if it was siting there with the UAC warning I would have to remote in to click a button first.
Old 19-11-2020, 04:04 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Paul,
Thanks for replying

Your situation is probably how we should all run our programs using one master AP program calling on other programs to do their job as required. But in my case I only use APT to frame , focus , capture and send dithering commands to PHD2 that's it, so I suppose I'm not utilising APT's full capabilities but each to their own and im happy to run things that way , more of a hands on approach with staged events until Im up and running imaging.

My problems arose when PHD2 somehow was left in Admin mode and everything else was not, so when it came time to open PHD2 it launched EQMOD again ( even though I had EQMOD opened and minimised on the taskbar ) with an error code due to the fact it was in the "not connected" mode.

As soon as I shut down everything and switched everything across to "Run as Administrator" then rebooted the laptop, everything worked as intended without failure all night

Martin
Old 20-11-2020, 07:28 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I don't recall having that problem when I was using APT, but I can not recall if I was running it as administrator or not. But if you have something that works better run as an administrator and run in to the UAC prompt when you open it, Winaero tweaker is a good option to sort it.