Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2020, 12:53 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Bintel GSO RC16-A f/8 Astrograph

Any thoughts?
You would need an EQ8 at least and with such a long fl would you just spend your time wishing you never bothered? I expect OAG would be necessary.
Alex
Old 05-03-2020, 02:11 PM
gregbradley

I don't know too much about the GSO RC's beyond it seems they have good optics but weak mechanicals.

I would be checking for reviews on how good the focuser is, whether the mirror mounting is OK or just silicone, how well they hold collimation do they flex at different angles etc.

Greg.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:25 PM
Sayfog (Alistair)

From what I've read about the truss models the 'A' versions are much improved over the original mechanically. Now I won't say they're perfect, but just that they're better relative to previous ones - just something to keep in mind if reading reviews.

I would certainly like one, but given the price, mount needed and amount of trees in my backyard I'm 'stuck' with my itsy bitsy RC8.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Greg and thank you Alistair.
This weather has me dreaming.
Alex
Old 06-03-2020, 08:09 PM
Paul Haese

The focuser on the RC's by GSO are average but the rest is very rigid. Never had any issues with movement on my RC12 and on the RC8 I owned. I have taken some nice image with the RC12. I don't think you could go wrong personally, but you will need to get a good focuser and then be selective about the image scale via sensor pixel size. Mount wise you need something very stable. It's going to be a long focal length and the mount is everything.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
The focuser on the RC's by GSO are average but the rest is very rigid. Never had any issues with movement on my RC12 and on the RC8 I owned. I have taken some nice image with the RC12. I don't think you could go wrong personally, but you will need to get a good focuser and then be selective about the image scale via sensor pixel size. Mount wise you need something very stable. It's going to be a long focal length and the mount is everything.
Thank you Paul. When I first started thinking about such an investment...well one day you are dreaming about one to figuring out where to put it..mmm and yet there are. Iarger scopes still ..I only last night found on Bintel scopes up to $90 K so $8k is not so bad ...I don't suppose the ZWO 1600 mono would cut it.
Plus a. EQ8 and a shed..gets away..I am going to need to sell some paintings..mmm five should do it...when they sell I will get it.
Alex
Old 06-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Paul Haese

No that pixel size is going to be too small. You'll find it tough going with that image scale. Not sure I would try that myself and I am pretty adventurous.

Something with 9 micro pixels and a fair bit of real estate is what you need. That might mean a cost relationship though. You could look at Atik I suppose.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:54 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

What is the camera you would select as a minimum that you could be somewhat happy with..aim low.
Alex
Old 06-03-2020, 09:10 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

You could find an older STL11000 or Atik11000 which has the KAF-11002 sensor. full frame, 9 micron pixels. Older but they come up relatively cheap these days.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
You could find an older STL11000 or Atik11000 which has the KAF-11002 sensor. full frame, 9 micron pixels. Older but they come up relatively cheap these days.
I found something $15k ...more paintings. New is the sort of figure we are talking about...the $10k one didn't seem to do the job from what I understand.
Edit by addition..29 arc sec resolution..is that good?
Alex

$8000 scope runs out at about $50,000
Alex

Last edited by RB; 12-03-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:11 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

You could try binning the new ASI 6200 for it.