Old 24-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Startrek (Martin)

PHD2 Equipment Profiles and Calibration

A quick question regarding PHD2 , multiple equipment profiles and calibration
I’ve just upgraded my existing shoe mounted Orion 50mm helical guide scope to a new dovetail bar central axis mounted Orion 60mm helical guide scope on my 6” f6 newt in Sydney and re using the same ZWOASI120MM guide camera
I already use an Orion 60mm helical guide scope and ZWOASI120MM guide camera for my 8” f5 newt down the south coast NSW
In my equipment profile I currently have both the Orion 50mm and the Orion 60mm guide scope set up
Would I have to create a third equipment profile for the new Orion 60mm guide scope in Sydney and calibrate accordingly or can I use the existing Orion 60mm guide scope set up for my 8” f5 newt and reuse it’s auto restore calibration in Sydney
On the same note should I then create a new dark frame library and bad pixel
Map for calibration or reuse the old one which was originally set up with the Orion 50mm guide scope
Sorry it’s a mouthful and a bit confusing
My gut feel is to create a third equipment profile ( renamed 60mm Sydney ) and then generate a new dark frame library and bad pixel map for the new Orion 60mm guide scope ( with existing guide camera ) and then perform a new calibration and save it

Appreciate some feedback from members who have multiple equipment profiles or have had experience with the above scenario

Thanks in advance
Old 25-02-2020, 12:32 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I have two equipment profiles for 50 & 60mm guidescopes.
I redo darks every 6 months (theoretically).
My setup gets put up each new moon and then pulled down/garaged as I image from our backyard. I calibrate quite often. Every month or whenever I shift things a bit, or sneeze. Something might have moved, but hey, I'm paranoid. And it only takes a few minutes to do.
Old 25-02-2020, 03:19 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Chris
Thanks for replying
I’ve been using the same calibration for 12 months with both my rigs which have same guide cameras but different guide scopes ( different focal length ) and imaging at 2 different locations. This hasn’t affected calibration or locking in on a good guide star
I think I will start from scratch with the new guide scope in Sydney and create new darks and bad pixel map and then a fresh calibration which will be auto saved
PHD2 is certainly a tremendous and intuitive piece of software for guiding and if you follow procedures it works flawlessly, it just works
I see so many posts on different forums where imagers have trouble getting it started and using it but if you follow the specs and manual thoroughly it really is “Push Here Dummy”
I haven’t had any issue in 3 years apart from some bad guiding nights caused mainly by the mount , atmospheric conditions or wind
Cheers