Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Karls48 (Karl)

Q-Quider and dark frames

Yesterday I have received Q-Guider camera from Gama Electronics. I have orderer it on Wednesday and it was delivered next morning. Excellent service from Gama –Thank you Theo. On first inspection the camera looks neat, simple and very light. Exactly what I need for guiding camera as I’m going to use it with cheep eBay 80mm Achromat with wonky focuser. I could not use this telescope with DSI Pro because it is too heavy and the focuser drawtube sags under its weight. I could not try the camera as auto guider because I have to still make bracket for the guiding telescope. So I tried it as the imaginer. All the supplied software installed without problems on my AMD 2.6 Ghz computer running XP Pro. I have pointed telescope on TV antenna about 1.5 KM distant and the image was clear and sharp. I tried various function of QGVideo software and everything worked except 2x2 binning, which kept crashing the computer. Installing QGVideo 3.2.1 beta fixed that problem.
One thing I cannot figure out. I have read somewhere on this forum that this software can do dark frame subtraction on the fly. Can anyone point me right direction how to set it up
Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Gama

Hi Karl,

Darks are a task that is available on the particular software you are using. This function for QGvideo is about half way down the left side.
Also, if you are using PHD, there is a "Dark" option on the bottom and when selected along with the exposure time, it will ask you to put a cap on the scope/camera and then it will take the dark and then subtract it every time you do an exposure.
Same for Maxim or any other software that does a Dark.

You should have PHD on the CD, try it, as i think it is probably the best and easiest guider software to use.

Theo.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Guidemaster (which is the guide programme I use with it) also does a dark subtraction on the fly.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Prickly

I've resurrected this thread as I had a couple of questions about video'ing using the QHY5.

Ive been using QG video under vista. Unfortuntately, although I can get it to work often I'm finding (as often as not) the program wont respond for some reason and I end up having to end it and restart the software ... and reset location for saving the files etc. This was also the case when trying to do dark frames last night.

I did manage to get it all working (with similar problems) a night or so back. Below is an image of jupiter through the 140mm refractor.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Wondering whether there is work on releasing a Vista compatible version of QGvideo. Also are there any other good options for video (where you can observe in video and same numerous files for individual frames eg. BMPs) that work well with vista 64 and allow one or more darks.

Thanks
David
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Gama

David, Vista64 is not supported. Most anything for Vista 64 isnt supported, you really should look at doing a dual boot or at least run it on another PC using Vista32 or XP.
Jupiter looks ok, and the red spot is showing up too.

Theo
Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Prickly

Hi Theo,

Yes, its a very nice little camera you sold me and happy with the result for a first go (only shot at 1600mm focal length).

Fair enough that vista 64 isnt supported (realised this risk when ordering the laptop), but thats the direction things are heading and many laptops now are being sold with this operating system. This was the best choice in terms of the laptop so I went with it. It may be that I just have to wait, but perhaps there are other systems out there that will do the job that people are aware of.

I have a lot of other software that seems to work:
PhD guide seems to work
pixinsight LE is ok
winstars 2 is fine
deep sky stacker works fine.

This is most of what I need so unlikely to go back to XP.

I tried QGvideo in XP on a friends laptop and it certainly does seem to be a great program.

Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers
David
Old 07-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Gama

David, its not the programs themselves that dont work (Although there are many that fail in Vista64), its the drivers and low level I/O control that has issues with Vista64. There are a few manufacturers that are making drivers for Vista64, but the politics and conditions behind the digital signitures are harsh, and many are NOT happy.
Microsoft needs to stop trying to make a buck from developers, and allow them better methods of doing there job.

Theo.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Prickly

Hi Theo,

Sounds an unfortunate state of affairs. Hopefully it will sort itself out. IT is not my field and most of us just end up being dragged along with the microsoft systems. Im certainly not critical of the software writers. It must be very difficult with operating systems changing all the time and other factors such as those you describe would no doubt complicate matters.

Cheers
David

For those refering to this link in future - it is apparently vista 32 that I have not 64.

Last edited by Prickly; 09-10-2008 at 07:07 PM.