Old 13-08-2016, 09:19 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

QHY miniCAM5F

Anyone else got one of these - they're a QHY5L-II with 2-stage cooler and 9-position FW built-in. I'm waiting on one to arrive and was interested to see if anyone had been using one for either lunar/planetary or Deep Space objects?
The sensor is pretty small with 3.75 micron pixels and the oversampling/undersampling gurus will no doubt have a field day with that. But since it can cool -38C below dela and weighs only half a kilo or so, it can't be all bad. Can it??

Peter
Old 13-08-2016, 10:06 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I love my QHY5II (compared to old Starshoot autoguider) Peter, so a cooled version would be pretty amazing.

I guess the ZWO cameras will be the direct competition, including the latest 1600MC people have been commenting on in Ice.

What are you planning to do - planetary?
Old 13-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I've briefly used the QHY5LII (had driver issues with my MacBook Pro and USB2.0) and now use a ZWO 120MM-S which has the same chip; 1280x960 3.75 micron. Works well as my guider and have thought about doing some planetary with it on my 12" dob but as it is a mono and I don't have a filter wheel for it, haven't done anything yet

The miniCAM5F sounds like a good step for that.
Old 13-08-2016, 02:02 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
I love my QHY5II (compared to old Starshoot autoguider) Peter, so a cooled version would be pretty amazing.

I guess the ZWO cameras will be the direct competition, including the latest 1600MC people have been commenting on in Ice.

What are you planning to do - planetary?
Well, because it has good QE, and all the filters I thought I'd concentrate on the small planetary nebulae for a while. I plan on using it on my F8 GSO RC8 with a 2.5 Powermate taking it to 4000mm effective FL. And I want to try some RGB lunar shots too.
Peter

Last edited by pmrid; 14-08-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 13-08-2016, 08:32 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Seem to recall some nice "lucky imaging" posts here from lots of small subs results in great planetary neb shots. Be interesting to see how you go Peter.

Hopefully someone else here has experience with the beast.